New Toy (Ducati 848)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nearly everyone I talked to about the 1098 says the same thing, just "to much" for the street. What does your girlfriend ride now?

I loved it. The power was amazing and the handling sublime. The sound was like thunder and it was just an amazing piece of kit. But I was unemployed for 6 months and had to sell it. :-(

She had a ZX-6R that threw a rod through the side of the motor on our way up to Deal's Gap... Rolling along at 80mph on the interstate and BAM! Oil and coolant everywhere... 3 large holes in the motor... Apparently it dropped a valve and when the piston hit it, it broke the rod on the big end and threw it through the block. Luckily she didn't go down and got to the side of the road safely. We sold it to my tuner who threw a motor in it and raced WERA last year on it and she went and got a 2011 GSX-R600.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Congrats with the 848, its a beautiful bike.
I agree about italian made cars/bikes. Yes they're not the fastest out there but there is something quite special about the way they build them. I would love to own a 748/916.
Sent from my Droid2 using DroidForums

Last edited:

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Congrats with the 848, its a beautiful bike.
I agree about italian made cars/bikes. Yes they're not the fastest out there but there is something quite special about the way they build them. I would love to own a 748/916.

You can actually find some great deals on the older Ducs. But I would go for a 996 or 998 over the 916. More reliable, little more power but they look almost identical.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
You can actually find some great deals on the older Ducs. But I would go for a 996 or 998 over the 916. More reliable, little more power but they look almost identical.

Over at the dealership where my dad works at, they started selling used bikes and one of the saleman that works with my dad was selling his 2001 Duc 748 and he woulda sold it to me for 4k and it only had 7500 miles! I woulda love to buy it but it would have been too much bike for me since it was going to be my first bike.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Over at the dealership where my dad works at, they started selling used bikes and one of the saleman that works with my dad was selling his 2001 Duc 748 and he woulda sold it to me for 4k and it only had 7500 miles! I woulda love to buy it but it would have been too much bike for me since it was going to be my first bike.

Well, too much bike is always subjective. I know people that started riding on a 250 and crashed, and I know people that learned to ride on a Hayabusa that did fine, so your mileage may vary...

I have owned 6 Ducati's and loved them all and want another one. Only downside is with the older ones, they require more maintenance. Like doing the valves and belts every 4,000 miles, which would have me doing valve jobs 3 times a year... The newer ones are about the same as any Japanese bike, but the older ones were a lot more frequent.

Now, if I was to have it just as a second bike, something classic and cool, then absolutely, I would love a pristine 916 or something along those lines.

The 748 only made about 80hp at the wheel, so just slightly more than an SV650.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Maybe for my 2nd or 3rd bike I'll get a ducati. I'll be starting my new job soon and finally be able to bring in some cash. Its just for the moment having an older japanese bike is easier on the wallet.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Maybe for my 2nd or 3rd bike I'll get a ducati. I'll be starting my new job soon and finally be able to bring in some cash. Its just for the moment having an older japanese bike is easier on the wallet.

As cool as Ducs are, the Japanese bikes are the best bang for the buck.

However, if you go to buy a new bike, check out Triumph. The Daytona 675 costs less than any of the Japanese 600's.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
The Daytona 675 is awesome! This future decision would be a lot easier if I won the lotto and just bought every bike I wanted haha

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Daytona 675 is awesome! This future decision would be a lot easier if I won the lotto and just bought every bike I wanted haha

Yeah, the lottery would simplify the purchase process, no?

Luckily this economy has forced a ton of people to have to ditch their toys. I was one of them. Had to let a 2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 go. Had about $18k in it and was only 11 months old, but I had to let it go when I was unemployed. Sold it at a massive loss, like $8k kind of loss just to move it quickly. But I did it in a way that got rid of that expense and got me into the Triumph, that while 4 years old, only had 1,700 miles on it. Reduced debt, took the loss but still have a nice bike that I don't owe a dime on.

I see late model 600's and even 1,000's for sale for $6k or less every day, ones in good shape. While the economy sucks and money is tight, the flip side is that this is probably the best time to buy a nice used bike that I can ever remember...

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
Yeah, the lottery would simplify the purchase process, no?

Luckily this economy has forced a ton of people to have to ditch their toys. I was one of them. Had to let a 2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 go. Had about $18k in it and was only 11 months old, but I had to let it go when I was unemployed. Sold it at a massive loss, like $8k kind of loss just to move it quickly. But I did it in a way that got rid of that expense and got me into the Triumph, that while 4 years old, only had 1,700 miles on it. Reduced debt, took the loss but still have a nice bike that I don't owe a dime on.

I see late model 600's and even 1,000's for sale for $6k or less every day, ones in good shape. While the economy sucks and money is tight, the flip side is that this is probably the best time to buy a nice used bike that I can ever remember...

Ah sorry for the loss of your streetfighter, i love that bike. But it is a great time to buy a used bike. I got my 94 Yamaha Fzr600 for only $900 sure it needed a couple things here and there but its a good learning tool to learn doing repairs/maintenance myself

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nice! I'm a hardcore gixxer fan but I've always appreciated the Ducs

Nearly everyone I talked to about the 1098 says the same thing, just "to much" for the street. What does your girlfriend ride now?
Never spoken those words myself!