New to This - Need Help

mike2132

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been following these forums for a while waiting for the ICS update because I have terrible data drop problems. I got annoyed of waiting so now I want to install the .232 leak but I have no idea what to do. I checked a few guides but I get completely lost, I've never "rooted" any phone or anything. Is there a "for dummies" guide on how to get my phone to .232?

Thanks

Kobe24

Reaction score
Someone will be able to write up a better detailed install guide that I can, but you don't have to be rooted to flash ICS.

linuxgator

Reaction score

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like Kobe24 said you don't have to be rooted. Here's the steps (you may know some of this already). This is presuming you're on .905.

Get the .232 file from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4gk...c0k/edit?pli=1 Don't worry that the name of the file is 5.9.905. Motorola gives the name of where is coming from, not where it's going to. Be sure you have the Motorola drivers installed from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA on your PC. These may install automatically when you connect your Bionic to your PC.

Your phone has to have at least 40% power for the install.

1. On the phone go to Menu>Setting>Applications>Development and check "USB Debugging."
2. Plug phone into computer.
3. Press "Mass USB Storage" from the list of choices. Two drives will show up. One is MOT (Internal Storage) and the other is Removable Drive (SD-EXT).
4. Put the downloaded file in the root (ie main area) of SD-EXT (not Internal Storage). No need to change the name or extract it.*
5. Eject both MOT and Removable Drive and disconnect the phone from your computer.
6. Power phone down
7. Reboot into stock recovery (aka reboot recovery) by holding Power and Volume Up/Down at the same time.
8. Select "Recovery" by pressing Volume Down, then press Volume Up to initiate it.
9. When the robot appears, press both Volume keys in at the same time.
10. Select “apply update from sdcard” using the volume keys, then Power to initiate it.
11. Using the Volume keys, choose the file that you downloaded (above), press Power and let it load.
12. When the install is done, press Power and it'll reboot.

The whole process, from moving the file into the SD-EXT card to phone rebooted is about 10-20 minutes. Of that, 3 minutes will be the phone extracting the files (Step 11) and the rest for the install itself (Step 12). A long time to stare at your phone, I admit.

*I haven't tried it, but I understand that if you change the file name from Blur_Version.5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.zip to update.zip when you go to Step 10 it'll know which file to install.

Last edited:
OP
M

mike2132

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help guys! But just to be sure, this process is reversible and I won't lose any of my data, right? I plan on switching back when the official update comes out.

OP
M

mike2132

Reaction score
One quick question before I do this.. Removable Disk (E:) is the same as SD-EXT right?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, the SD-EXT card should say "Removable Disk" on your PC. The exact drive letter (in your case "E") will vary from computer to computer. On my computer it's "N," with the internal MOT as "M." In any case, put the zip file in the main area of the Removable Disk.

It's funny, I changed to a 32 gb card and had the phone format it. Now both cards say "MOT" in Windows Explorer. I just know that "M" is the internal card and "N" is SD-EXT.

One final thing, the update seems to work better after "settling in," so it's a good idea to power off and on a few times.

Last edited:

linuxgator

Reaction score
Yes, the SD-EXT card should say "Removable Disk" on your PC. The exact drive letter (in your case "E") will vary from computer to computer. On my computer it's "N." Put the zip file in the main area of that.

It's funny, I changed to a 32 gb card and had the phone format it. Now both cards say "MOT" in Windows Explorer. I just know that "M" is the internal card and "N" is SD-EXT.

It almost always mounts the internal as the first alphabetically and the removable as the second.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
M

mike2132

Reaction score
At first it was verrrry glitchy but after a few power ups it got better. Thanks for the advice :). I do however have a huge problem with SMSs. I cant send any and if recieve one, my phone gets a black screen and I have to pull the battery :/

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
For some reason, most glitchs go away after shutting the phone down and up a few times.

Which SMS app do you use?

OP
M

mike2132

Reaction score
I use Go SMS but even the stock texting app is not working. I just realized I can't even send calls.