New to the Droid from BB

rap4974

Reaction score

I just moved from the BB to the Droid and I’m pretty happy about it (took advantage of Verizion’s BOGO). Everything (imo) works better on the Droid and is more fun except the email. I have a pop (for work) and yahoo (personal) account and have them both going to the Droid. The pop set up easy enough and I got the yahoo working using the Asia method found on this forum. I wish I didn’t have to delete the emails on both the Droid and computer but I’ll put up with that to get the many other pluses of the Droid. Probably the most frustrating is getting emails over and over after I’ve deleted them days ago. I hope that I can find a solution for that. Email handling has to be the biggest issue people have coming from a BB.

I got a case and screen protector at Verizon when I bought the Droid. The case/belt clip I’m pretty pleased with and although the screen protector seems to be OK, I’m going to change it after I get some reviews of alternatives going on in this forum.

One question I have is, is there any protection for the camera? I don’t usually keep a lens cleaning cloth with me.

Thanks for everyone who contributes to this forum, Verizon might be lost without it.

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
Dont think there is a lens protector. Just use your shirt to keep it clean.
Indoor/lowligh pics kinda suck on droid, and outdoors/bright turn out great even with smudges.
I used to try and keep it clean but didnt notice any difference, except for the one time when i had chocolate on the lens:)

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to your newest obsession, rap4974! Glad you've decided to join us here on the forum! Enjoy!

OP
R

rap4974

Reaction score
Having been an exblackberry person myself I don't have any problems with the email. If you're having an issue I suggest you take a look at this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...66-droid-hints-pop3-gmail-forwarding-you.html

I've been in there, thanks and I know there are work arounds and apps to help overcome but it's the very need for threads like that is what I'm talking about. I also get this is Google and I can understand them not going out of their way to incorporate Yahoo.

Again, I rather these overcome-able issues with email on my droid than what I had with my BB.

crspang

Reaction score
When and if the 2.1 update comes, yahoo mail will be supported without having to jump through hoops. I have a 2.1 rom running and yahoo works OK. Sometimes I have to reset but its not too much of a hassle.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish I didn’t have to delete the emails on both the Droid and computer but I’ll put up with that to get the many other pluses of the Droid.
There's nothing you can do about it but the POP account is the problem there. You can't sync with a POP account. BIS has the same issue when it comes to having to delete email on the device and on the PC.

Email handling has to be the biggest issue people have coming from a BB.
Not in my experience but I only really use an Exchange account with my Droid. I definitely prefer the Droid and ActiveSync over a Blackberry 8310 (former device) and BES.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this isn't at all helpful, but K9 provides an option to delete from the email server. If your PC is set up to download the email from the server that won't help you, but if both your PC and your Droid are looking at mail on the server, you should be able to delete email from either location and avoid the double deletion pita.

OP
R

rap4974

Reaction score
I wish I didn’t have to delete the emails on both the Droid and computer but I’ll put up with that to get the many other pluses of the Droid.
There's nothing you can do about it but the POP account is the problem there. You can't sync with a POP account. BIS has the same issue when it comes to having to delete email on the device and on the PC.

Email handling has to be the biggest issue people have coming from a BB.
Not in my experience but I only really use an Exchange account with my Droid. I definitely prefer the Droid and ActiveSync over a Blackberry 8310 (former device) and BES.

Then that's very confusing. With the BB I had 2 pops and one yahoo account. When I got an email, I could choose to delete it on the handset or server or both. Could not delete the pop once it was downloaded to the computer and that makes sense. With the Droid, I can only find a way to either always delete from the server or never, no choice for each email, I would like to decide per email. Maybe I just haven’t found how to do it yet.

I just downloaded K9 but it looks like I’m left with the same deleting choices. At least I’m getting emails with the K9, unlike the Droid email. I just got it so I could be missing something.

With Yahoo on the BB I had the same deleting choices as I described above but again not so with the Droid (?). Also, using yahoo on the Droid email, I would continue to get old deleted emails days later. I just found Yahoo mail for mobile and I think that will solve any yahoo mail problems. Now I just need to search the forum to see if I can put an icon for it on the droid desktop. That would make it easier than going to the favorites on the browser but it’s still worth it not to get the same email over and over.

Maybe if this doesn’t work out I’ll try running it through the dummy gmail account and see if that helps. I’ll keep trying different ways till I can get it to work the best for me.

OP
R

rap4974

Reaction score
When and if the 2.1 update comes, yahoo mail will be supported without having to jump through hoops. I have a 2.1 rom running and yahoo works OK. Sometimes I have to reset but its not too much of a hassle.

That will be great! :yahoo:

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
Sorry buddy, theres no way to decide on an individual basis on the Droid.
I get so many emails i just leave them on the web server and once a week go delete them!