New To Smart Phones: DROID?!

p1x1ep1nk129

Reaction score
Prepare to be bombarded with a million questions! I'm so sorry! Any help would be appreciated! Thank you so much! :greendroid:

I just got a Droid Incredible with unlimited text and unlimited internet (YAY). The Droid Incredible already has some aps programmed onto it however the lady working at Verizon told me to be careful about using some of the aps because they charge even though it's already programmed onto it. She told me I'd know which ones to watch out for and alot of people don't realize it charges. One for instance is the Verizon Navigator, she told me to use the Google Maps instead because it's free. Does anyone know any of the other aps that charge? I am so scared to touch the other icons fearing it'll charge.

My navigator on google maps doesn't work. It says I have to choose a location setting. My choices are VZW Location Services, Standalone GPS Services, and Google Location Services. When I choose Google Location it doesn't do anything and the whole process starts over again. Basically, I can use the map but not the navigator. Does anyone have the same problem?

Is there any way to delete the pre-existing aps that came with my phone? I don't want anyone to accidently press it when they use my phone and I don't want some of the aps anyways (like stocks, or VZ Navigator) (P.S. does anyone know if the "Navigation" with the blue arrow pointing up icon charge if I use it? Or should I just stick to Google Maps?)

Also, there's some aps already downloaded onto my phone that I can get from the Android market for free (example: Youtube, Google Search, Weather) does this mean they're free to use? I'm scared to click the Youtube icon so right now I'm just searching up youtube online everytime I use it.

Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Prepare to be bombarded with a million questions! I'm so sorry! Any help would be appreciated! Thank you so much! :greendroid:

I just got a Droid Incredible with unlimited text and unlimited internet (YAY). The Droid Incredible already has some aps programmed onto it however the lady working at Verizon told me to be careful about using some of the aps because they charge even though it's already programmed onto it. She told me I'd know which ones to watch out for and alot of people don't realize it charges. One for instance is the Verizon Navigator, she told me to use the Google Maps instead because it's free. Does anyone know any of the other aps that charge? I am so scared to touch the other icons fearing it'll charge.

My navigator on google maps doesn't work. It says I have to choose a location setting. My choices are VZW Location Services, Standalone GPS Services, and Google Location Services. When I choose Google Location it doesn't do anything and the whole process starts over again. Basically, I can use the map but not the navigator. Does anyone have the same problem?

Is there any way to delete the pre-existing aps that came with my phone? I don't want anyone to accidently press it when they use my phone and I don't want some of the aps anyways (like stocks, or VZ Navigator) (P.S. does anyone know if the "Navigation" with the blue arrow pointing up icon charge if I use it? Or should I just stick to Google Maps?)

Also, there's some aps already downloaded onto my phone that I can get from the Android market for free (example: Youtube, Google Search, Weather) does this mean they're free to use? I'm scared to click the Youtube icon so right now I'm just searching up youtube online everytime I use it.

Thank you so much in advance!
Navigation is ok to use, it is the navigation portion of Google Maps. YouTube, Google search, etc are all free. You will get updates through the market as the apps get updated. What other apps do you have?

SeeEss

Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that before you can/will be charged for the use of an application, it will advise you that there is a charge and you must agree.

Visual Voicemail would be one example. I removed this application.

OP
P

p1x1ep1nk129

Reaction score
Amazon MP3, Car Panel, City ID, FM Radio, Footprints, Friend Stream, Gallery, Latitude, Internet, My Verizon Mobile, Navigation, News, News and Weather, Peep, Places, Search People, Skype Mobile, Slacker, Stocks, Teeter, and Weather.

Thank you so much for helping me! I am so confused with this new phone!

SeeEss

Reaction score
Yeah, I know how you feel. I had a Blackberry Storm and now a Droid Incredible. I LOVE the Incredible but all the apps are overwhelming. I just decided to ignore most of them.

I set up my home page the way I want it, which include pictures of my grandbaby, weather, email and messages (I downloaded Handcent and like it a lot) and the camera. The othe stuff I am looking at slowly. Some of the things are stupid, like the one where you take a picture and it tells you what city you are in...duh. Others, like Places is pretty handy. You can find the nearest gas station, coffee shop, etc.

There are enough apps to keep me exploring for quite some time. And to think I used to carry a TELEPHONE. dancedroid

tigerdango

Reaction score
Yeah my INC used to have me confused as hell too when I first got it. There is still some things I need to figure out but I've made great progress since I got it. Don't run from it, just explore it and learn it bit by bit. :)

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App