new to smart phone need a little help!

jonifletcher

Reaction score
totally new to smart phones. My husband bought me a bionic. I have been playing with it and checking out advice on youtube. But my question now is should i use both a task manager and juice defender? I really dont understand exactly how they work but i have read both good and bad things about them and would appreciate a bit of advice

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Task managers aren't needed because that functionality is already built into the android operating system. Basically the OS allows you to keep a set amount of memory dedicated to recent apps. Let's say you are playing a game and you get a text message. You can hit home, read and reply to the message, hit home again, then restart the game. So long as the game allows it, you should be right where you left off without having to restart/reload the entire game. Task managers run constantly in the background using up battery performing the exact function as the android os.

As far as juice defender goes you need to use your new phone for about a week or so before you decide how good/bad your battery life is. You will be on the phone a lot over this weekend and everytime you have a free moment. Give it some time for you to figure out how much you will be using your phone on a regular basis. Then charge your phone and see how long it stays up with regular use. Good luck and if you have any other questions please free to ask.

This post is Incredible 2!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Dido

Don't use either
Android will free up memory as needed
if you want use titanium backup to freeze bloatware but you will need to be rooted

Sent from my DROID 2G w/4.5.608 using Droid Forum app

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Welcome to the smartphone game!

With Android you don't need a task killer. Give this a read :http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/
[URL="http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/"]
[h=2]So… the TL;DNR Version:[/h]
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when more memory is needed.
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when it’s done doing what it needs to do.
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when you haven’t returned to it in a long time.
A[/URL]s for Juice Defender you can use it to extend your battery life, but there has to be some specific settings. Might be alot of work especially if it's your first smartphone, not saying you're incapable, it just may be alot to take in. I tried juice defender, but realized I can extend it myself by turning anything auto off. Also for me I didn't have to check my phone every 5 minutes so that saved alot of battery. And believe me coming from an Incredible, I am already envious of your Bionic battery life lol.