new to rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by socalsx, Jun 15, 2010.

1. socalsx

socalsx New Member

Hey so i'm pretty new to rooting, just did it about a week ago. I rooted to froyo and added flash. I noticed it was a bit laggy so I installed a 800mhz/wifi rom.

When using setCPU, is it bad to run at "performance" permanently? Ondemand wasn't cutting it..

If I want to try another rom, should i wipe data/cache? what exactly does this function do? erase contacts and apps? I lost quite a few contacts when i first rooted because my gmail didn't automatically sync when i added new contacts. I exported to the sd card this time.

I can't get any youtube video to play. I get "there was a problem while playing". and pandora also freaks out with errors. Should i reinstall froyo?

Sorry for all the questions, these issues just seemed a bit vague when i researched them. thanks!
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    I do not know much about Froyo but am rooted and have changed ROMs several times so I can answer some of your questions.

First I downloaded "Mybackup pro", some use Titanium. Anyways, these are two very good programs that will allow you to backup your apps and data.

When you are going to flash a new ROM, first back up your apps using one of the above apps. Then when you flash the ROM I ALWAYS Backup and Wipe Cache/Data. This gives you a clean slate when starting a new ROM. If you are just changing Themes but staying with the same ROM then all you would have to do is Backup, no wipe. Once the new ROM is installed, then you will need to install a kernel (if your ROM does not come with one), you then will sign into your google account, give the phone time to sync (to get your contacts), then you can do two things...... either go into the market, hit menu > downloads > and reinstall the apps that you have paid for and then search for the free apps you had before or you can restore your apps (using again either mybackup pro or titanium).

Hope this helps and if you have questions, you can pm me and I will help you.
  3. Droid101

Droid101 Member

My biggest question is if I have to go to verizon for and issue with my phone can I bring it back to stock without them ever knowing I was rooted? And also I have NEVER rooted before so how easy would it be to do it?
Search tags for this page

does rooting android erase contacts etc

does rooting erase all data

will rooting a phone remove contacts

will rooting delete my contacts

will rooting erase your data?