New to rooting!

andrewdexter

Reaction score
Hey guys, So I've owned a droid for about a year now, had the droid x then in September traded that guy in for the bionic, LOVE IT, haha, but i have always let Google guide me in the sense of OS, but im really interested in rooting, no clue what to do, about to spend some time reading the forums and sticky thread on how to do it before i do so i don't mess things up! But basically my question to you guys, well i have a couple, so first, best way to back up my droid, so i keep all my texts, (photos are obvious), is there a way to back up my app data or just write down my downloaded apps and re download? the other question, and my main one is anyone know of a good ICS build? i really would like ICS on my phone, im kinda weary of putting an alpha version on there and if that's all that's available i can wait :) lol but if there isn't yet, what about a really good ICS theme? and finally what do you guys recommend i root my phone using, what has worked the best for you?

Thank you for all your guys help!

thejacked1

Reaction score
1. Check out th3oryroms he has some ics stuff.
2. Use titanium backup, get the donate version...worth it big time. BUT, its a root app, so start with rooting it. Use for3v3r root program, while hooked up to PC. PHONE IN CHARGE ONLY MODE WHILE U DO IT !! Then go back, install titanium and create a back up. Long as u have a back up to save u if any trouble occurs...
3. Get safeboot or bionic bootstrap and get to romming if u wish. Search "official upgrade path" in these forums, READ READ READ, and decide if you want to go any further from there....have fun!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

ParadisePets

Reaction score
i have been try to "root" my bionic for several days, is there a program you suggest?

wseyller

Reaction score
There are gingerbread roms from Theory that allow you to flash a ics theme but they are not real ics roms. The ICS alpha rom is not fully functional and so it is worthless for everyday use.

Use Titanium to backup apps, settings, data. It allows you to selectively backup or restore. It is also useful for freezing stock apps that you don't want to see or run.

bionic bootstrap is a custom recovery that you reboot into. This allows you to wipe data and cache, and flash roms. It also allows you to do nandroid backups and restore. These nandroid backups takes a full image of the system partition. So for example you want to do a nandroid backup before you flash any rom. If you then flash a rom that you don't like then you can restore your nandroid backup. It would take you back like nothing ever happen. If you do like the new rom then you can use your titanium backup to selectively restore some apps and data.

OP
A

andrewdexter

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yea i was reading about the alpha and the things that didnt work, one of them being 3g/4g connection, uhhhh sooo how do i use my phone then, lol im gonna stay away from that until they release a beta (at least) i was looking just to put a nice ics theme on it, maybe look into some other themes though.

Thanks for all the responses!