1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New to rooting, still have questions. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by quiksilver225, May 21, 2010.

1. quiksilver225

quiksilver225 New Member

i just recently got a crash course in root, rooting, theming, and the basics. I started off with an older version of ultimate droid, switched to cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2, and now im using UD v10 which i think is pretty cool looking. Ive been searching and reading a ton over hte past week or so and the amount of information on hacking a Droid and the thing you seem to be able to do are extremely vast. The most recent discovery of mine is Dark Edge.

What exactly is Dark Edge? a theme? or a ROM? by the way... what is the difference between a theme and a ROM? both seem similar.

it also seems like people are using custom launchers. where can i look at a few and download one? how do i install it? right no i have Helix and i like the ability to attach 4 icons along the bottom of all the home screens.

how do people customize a launcher? what can be customized?

finally i noticed customized icons. where can i get them or look at a few? how do u install? and how are these made?

sorry for all the questions, but im still a super noob trying to play catch up as quickly as possible and make my phone as cool as i possibly can. Thanks!
  2. quiksilver225

quiksilver225 New Member

3. Kmart95

Kmart95 New Member

Darkedge is a theme not a rom. Also themes basically just make your phone look different. Roms may have themes included in them, but they can also install different things on your phone to make it function differently like a custom kernal which supports overclocking. Someone may be able to get more in depth but thats basically what they are in a nutshell
  4. quiksilver225

quiksilver225 New Member

what is the general consensus regarding the quality of the dark edge theme? what exactly does it alter? will it work with my ultimate droid v10 ROM?