New to rooting, some basic questions

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was successful at rooting a test (broken) RAZR Maxx, and was able to do the entitlement hacks before trying it on my phone.
Before I do on my phone I have questions/concerns.
1) If I do root, can I just then leave it alone? Meaning, there's all kinds of things I read and don't understand like
Voodoo, Safestrap, etc that I have no idea what they are for.
2) Is Un-rooting as simple as the root (RAZR blade) method?
As easy as the root and exploit was, I don't care about saving any (root) settings etc.

Mike
Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
All I did was root using the razrblade utility....and I backed up my apps with tibu....other than that...that's how my phone sits...

As far as unrooting...idk...I haven't asked...lol

shhhh....did you hear that??

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
All I did was root using the razrblade utility....and I backed up my apps with tibu....other than that...that's how my phone sits...

As far as unrooting...idk...I haven't asked...lol

Haha. Thanks for the input.
Backing up with tibu was another question that I forgot to ask about.
What is the purpose of backing them up?, since (at least for me) all of them will reinstall from the playstore, if I choose to do a FDR.
Can you backup home screen settings etc. with that do you know?

Mike

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well, it makes it easier to backup your apps... as they're set at this moment...

If you don't mind setting that apps up again.. then its fine to install from the play store..but you also backup in case your phone crashes...
And you retain full app data.

Last edited:

NWRULES

Reaction score
I have my backup pro, will that reload my apps on a root?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I believe so...yes.

-insert catchy phrase here-

NWRULES

Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks. Been seriously thinking of root, just for the option to get rid of the bloat

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sweet. Thanks. Been seriously thinking of root, just for the option to get rid of the bloat

Remember ..if you do...DO NOT DELETE ONLY FREEZE!!!

-insert catchy phrase here-

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I was successful at rooting a test (broken) RAZR Maxx, and was able to do the entitlement hacks before trying it on my phone.
Before I do on my phone I have questions/concerns.
1) If I do root, can I just then leave it alone? Meaning, there's all kinds of things I read and don't understand like
Voodoo, Safestrap, etc that I have no idea what they are for.
2) Is Un-rooting as simple as the root (RAZR blade) method?
As easy as the root and exploit was, I don't care about saving any (root) settings etc.

Mike

1.) After you root, yes you can just leave it alone. Just for reference, voodoo is an app from the play store that will allow you to temporarily unroot and take an OTA update. Since the RAZR just got 4.1.2 it is unlikely to see another update and you wont have to worry about this. Safestrap is an app created by Hashcode to install custom ROMs on the phone.

2.) The easiest way to unroot would be to use this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...t912-jellybean-windows-mac-linux-all-one.html and restore stock 4.1.2.

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
94lt1, and GoCliffGo05,
Thanks for the responses.
At this point, my only desire to root is to make Bluetooth tethering available again so my wife can tether her iPad when we travel a few days of the year like I was able to on ICS.
I could also see myself freezing bloat, but that's later.

At this point, my newest questions are:
I am considering an FDR.
Aside from the advantages of better backup options when rooted, are there any advantages to rooting before or after an FDR?
Also, what happens when someone FDR's a phone that has been rooted, without un-rooting first?
Mike

Mike

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I hate bumping but....
If one roots their Maxx on JB, and is not concerned with protecting root, can one then do an FDR, without un-rooting first or will something go wrong?

Mike

NWRULES

Reaction score
I personally don't know, but I'm surprised no one had responded yet. Surely someone out there knows this?.......

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Doing a "fdr" will not affect your root access at all. As a matter of fact, before you install a custom ROM you have to do a complete wipe of the phone which includes a factory data reset. About once a year I do it to my phone just to clear out old junk if I haven't flashed a new ROM in a while. Hope that helps. Good luck!

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.
I wanted to root this week (to Bluetooth tether an iPad on a road trip) and possibly FDR next week and didn't want to make a mess.
I did the root and entitlement hack yesterday (SUCCESSFUL!!) So it is nice to hear now that I can do an FDR without problems....thanks again!

Mike

kooshie

Reaction score
Been thinking about rooting since the update and losing the WiFi tether for foxfi but I don't understand what I need to do after rooting to use foxfi?

Did the root and the wifi SQLite last night, woohoo :icon_ lala:

Last edited: