new to rooting, could use some quick help.

ddownpound

Reaction score
i just rooted my droid1 using this:

How to: Root Motorola DROID Running Android 2.2 FRG22D - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

and after i typed all that in [i actually copy and pasted] i restarted my phone and nothing is different. what now? also that superuser thing doesn't load when i try to open it. it just comes up and is blank. nothing happens. also i noticed when i was done entering those commands that usb storage wasn't on. does that make a difference? if so can i redo it without hurting anything? how can i tell if it worked, if im actually rooted?

pretty much i just need to know, what now?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Download Terminal Emulator by Jack Palvich

Open it up and type su then press enter

you should get a box to tap allow

the $ should change to #

if so you are rooted, now get either SPRecovery or Clockwork recovery on your phone and make a nandroid backup

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Also Superuser will be blank until you have allowed root access to apps. After you have been rooted for a while when you go back into your Superuser you will see a list of apps that have "root access". So remember when you are asked to "allow access" always hit "Allow".

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
+1 ^^^ to both answers. Welcome to the dark side ddownpound!

OP
D

ddownpound

Reaction score
hah thanks! im enjoying it so far. overclocked with seemingly no battery loss. but i have another question. i understand roms and such but is it mostly for show? i mean, right now my phone is running perfectly the way it is, fast, battery is great, and i love how i have everything set up and the way it all looks. so why would i want to change to a custom rom?

and thanks for all the quick responses, very helpful!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
The ONLY reason I change to a different ROM is if the 'next' one has some significant features that my current one does not. I am back on an old Sapphire that probably can't be found most places 'cough', 'cough', from cyanogen 6.0 because of that very fact. This sapphire does everything the Cyaongenmod did, but smoother.

Themeing is a whole different animal and doesn't require any certain rom, so if you're happy, stay happy.

have fun and good luck