New to rooting and roms

Antob125

Reaction score
So i have read through all the stickies referring to First Rooting your phone with Z4root (Correct?), and titanium backup, Rom manager, Bootstraper and so on. The only thing im having a tuff time understanding is which ROM name to chose and how do i know which is the latest number ROM out there currently. I have been reading through this site and watching a ton of youtube videos and still cant figure it out. If you can clarify it for me please help. Thanks!
P.S. My phone is a DROID X.
Also Whats better custom or stock roms and whats the difference? Just having trouble deciding which to pick. There are so many! And how do you know which number is the highest number? (I know that 595 is currently the highest only because ive seen it posted in every post

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

debrad0307

Reaction score
So i have read through all the stickies referring to First Rooting your phone with Z4root (Correct?), and titanium backup, Rom manager, Bootstraper and so on. The only thing im having a tuff time understanding is which ROM name to chose and how do i know which is the latest number ROM out there currently. I have been reading through this site and watching a ton of youtube videos and still cant figure it out. If you can clarify it for me please help. Thanks!
P.S. My phone is a DROID X.
Also Whats better custom or stock roms and whats the difference? Just having trouble deciding which to pick. There are so many! And how do you know which number is the highest number? (I know that 595 is currently the highest only because ive seen it posted in every post

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Hi. I'm using a DROID X as well. The stock ROM (what you have on your phone now) is not a bad thing however the custom ROMS make more features available to you. The choosing of a custom ROM was fairly easy for me... I saw screen shots and I knew. I am running Liberty Gingerbread. 05 (which is the latest). If you don't like the Gingerbread look you can also flash regular Liberty 2.01 (which is also the latest). You are right, there are a ton of ROMS out there, if I was choosing another ROM for some odd reason I'd go with something that is highly customizable and comes with features I will actually use. I hope this helps you out a little bit. Happy hunting!

Tappin' away on my DROIDX

FillTheVoid

Reaction score
Gingerbread is great, but as a first ROM I would reccomend not flashing a gingerbread rom because if you want to go back or have trouble you will need to sbf. I would recommend liberty 2.0.1 as it is a froyo build and highly customizable. You should familiarize yourself with clockwork recovery and making and restoring nandroid backups before moving to a leaked gingerbread rom IMHO.

Liberated Droid 2 Epic Blue

debrad0307

Reaction score
I agree with FillTheVoid, when I went with liberty o knew very little about stuff like this. The first time I bricked my phone is when I learned about SBF'ing.

debrad0307

Reaction score
You are right, there are a ton of ROMS out there...

I'm trying to get a list of available Android ROMs, and determine which ones are abandoned.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/147664-q-list-abandoned-rom-projects.html

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

What so you mean "abandoned"? I don't have a list of all the roms available but they are here on the forums. Go to forums>DROIDX >then roms. They will be listed and should have screen shots.

Natey2

Reaction score
What so you mean "abandoned"?

All open source projects (even non open source ones) are subject to abandonment when development slows down to a crawl (no updates in a very long time), reported bugs don't get fixed for a very long time, etc.

debrad0307

Reaction score
What so you mean "abandoned"?

All open source projects (even non open source ones) are subject to abandonment when development slows down to a crawl (no updates in a very long time), reported bugs don't get fixed for a very long time, etc.

Well, the only way to find out is to read and review those ROMS .. see if there are a lot of unfixed issues or bugs. See what people are reporting, if there is anything major..