1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New to Root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by atljpg, Dec 8, 2010.

1. atljpg

atljpg New Member

So I've rooted my DX and added a bunch of root only apps. I believe I recall reading something at the time of rooting suggesting upgrading to Gingerbread would require something special. I don't think the upgrade is available yet, but i'm just trying to figure out what i'll need to do once it is. Do I need to unroot my phone in order to do the OTA upgrade? Sorry if this is referenced elsewhere on the forum, I tried searching. Any help or direction is much appreciated!! Thanks,
  2. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

You would most likely need to unroot to receive the OTA, but I would say "stay rooted" because there will probably be a gingerbread rom out for the droid x before verzion releases the OTA for the droid x.
  3. atljpg

atljpg New Member

Thanks, that leads me to another question...

So are the different OS releases from google just different ROMS? Does this mean that if i can figure out how to load different custom ROMS onto my DX then i'll never have to worry about receiving over the air updates? Thanks Again! I'm a new poster and really enjoying the willingness of the experts to help us newbies....
  4. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    No. Google releases the code, Motorola creates the ROM that Verizon pushes out from said code.

If I could offer a suggestion, go to the Droid X subforum here, or even to Droid X Forum to learn more. :)