new to root- update.zip or clockworkmod which is better

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bossofindy, Jun 11, 2010.

1. bossofindy

bossofindy New Member

I intstalled froyo using sprecovery and update.zip. I just downloaded rom manager and it wants to flash clockworkmod, if I flash it will I have sp and clockwork? Can I flash it over sprecovery? Some help please or just stick with what I have?
  2. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I like ClockworkMod, very similar in operation to SPRecovery but you can pretty much select what you are wanting in Rom Manager and then it passes everything over to clockworkmod (ie...set to wipe, backup and install a ROM it does it all).

You can flash SPRecovery back using Rom Manager if you want.
  3. bossofindy

bossofindy New Member

so do I just flash clockworkmod over SPRecovery or uninstall SP THEN flash?
  4. xliderider

xliderider New Member

You flash CWmod recovery over SPRecovery. Then if you want to go back to SPRecovery, you scroll down while in ROM Manger to Flash Alternate Recovery (SPRecovery 0.93b). Sometimes the SPRecovery flash doesn't take the first time, so people recommend flashing SPRecovery 2 or 3 times to be sure.

Going back to CWmod recovery is easy, flash CWmod recovery from ROM Manager again over SPRecovery.

FYI, backups made in the two recoveries aren't interchangeable. So make sure you create a backup of a stable rom in both recoveries so you won't get stuck without a good backup to fall back on.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. bossofindy

bossofindy New Member

Thanks xliderider
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

You can only have one or the other at a time - and you cannot "uninistall" them - you simply flash something else over it.

I prefer clockwork. It doesn't require you to rename files to update.zip (you can select files to install either from the recovery console or from the ROM Manager app). You can also initiate a backup right from the app and have it reboot, backup, and boot back up again. Same with installing a new ROM. You can initiate it right from the app and even select that you want to make a backup first. Very convenient.
  7. korp

korp New Member

Yup .... clockworkmod is awesome. When you go to make a backup it automatically puts the date and time as the name .... you can change it if you want ... but that's how I labeled mine anyways and makes things easy. Also, not having to rename everything to update.zip allows you to keep several files on your sdcard such as OC kernels and other roms so you won't have to reconnect to the computer and redownload.
Search tags for this page

clockworkmod update.zip

clockworkmod without root
cwmod v8
new root update zip
new root update.zip
new rooted update.zip
new-root-update.zip
new-root-update.zip download
new-root-updatr.zip
rooting em73
update.zip clockworkmod