New to Root, running into issues.

TheWhiteBoy

Reaction score
I've gone through and rooted my Moto Droid 1. I have SetCPU and Rom Manager working (for the most part, ROM Manager is where I seem to be having problems). Every time I install a theme I get the boot loop error and I have to restore my previous backup. I'm looking for direction as I am new to this and I've seen some great themes out there I'd like to use but can't seem to get working. Thank you in advance.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What themes are you trying to use? Most art ROM specific. Installing a theme over the wrong ROM, installing an outdated theme over the correct ROM, and flashing a ROM specific theme over a stock setup will cause boot loops.

OP
T

TheWhiteBoy

Reaction score
The last one I tried was Ultimate Droid Froyo Beta. I know I also tried NexBeast 1.1 without any luck either. I tried UDFB through Rom Manager so I didn't understand why that wouldn't work.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The last one I tried was Ultimate Droid Froyo Beta. I know I also tried NexBeast 1.1 without any luck either. I tried UDFB through Rom Manager so I didn't understand why that wouldn't work.
UD is not supported through ROM manager. UD8 is the current ROM, and UD9 is expected any day.
NexBeast is a themed ROM, but it was based of BB1.1, which was an android 2.1 ROM, and we are running 2.2 now. Here are 4 of the most popular ROMs found on DroidForums: (In alphabetical order)
Bugless Beast:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/82857-rom-stable-bugless-beast-v0-5-android-2-2-frg22d.html

Liquid Frozen Yogurt:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...rg22d-built-source-get-fast-before-melts.html

Simply Stunning:
SS Android • View topic - SS 4.8 - More Statusbar Options - Music Controls Incl. BT

Ultimate Droid FroYo eXtreme 8:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ultimatedroid/77017-ultimate-droid-froyo-extreme-8-0-0-droid.html

OP
T

TheWhiteBoy

Reaction score
What is the best way to install these themes? Should I select them through ROM Manager or should I Recovery Boot and install them that way? I guess I've seen so much information today that I'm not sure what to believe and use.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First thing's first. What I gave you are ROMs. They are Customized operating systems, made by different developers.

Themes are further customizations of these custom operating systems.

Kernels control the hardware in your phone. Most kernels enable overclocking the CPU, and enabling wifi tethering. Some are Tun enabled for VPN's.

I know it sounds like Im nit-picking, but if we keep the names correct you will be able to get better help when you need it.

I do not use clockwork, I am only familiar with SPRecovery.
Give me a second to find a link for CW, Ill be right back.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...shooting-guides-clockwork-recovery-guide.html

Follow that link down to the second post, this is how it starts:

Clockwork Recovery/ Rom manager Troubleshooting guide
We have seen that people were having issues dealing with clockwork recovery and ROM Manager. We have put together a guide to deal with the common issues seen. This guide will not cover all scenarios, but will cover the most common.

Follow that post, except use the ROM that you want to run instead of the test file listed.

OP
T

TheWhiteBoy

Reaction score
Ok, I followed that and now Ultimate Droid is installed on my system. I assume at this point it's up to me to re-download any apps and what not I want installed on my system?

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
once you boot up the rom, and reestablish your google/gmail account, the mkt should automatically download all of your previous apps. this is because the google mkt apps are linked to your account. it is important that you allow the mkt to fully download all apps before you move onto flashing a theme or kernel.

OP
T

TheWhiteBoy

Reaction score
Ok, my google is re-established and my apps have downloaded. I see that the kernel I managed to flash before has been replaced with a different one.

OP
T

TheWhiteBoy

Reaction score
I guess I mis-understood when I first set out to do this that there was a difference between the OS and the theme. Now I have the OS flashed on my phone, there are different themes within the new OS? Thank you all for your help BTW, I didn't realize how little I understood of this when I set out to do it.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Think of things as layers. (this is how you flash them)
ROM- its the base operating system. Custom ROMs are worked on by the devs for optimization and customizing.
Theme- changes the look of the ROM
Kernel- controls the ROM (can be flashed prior to theme) Also not all phones like the same kernels. You may need to play with different ones to find one that works best with your phone.

Hope this helps explain things a little more for ya. :)

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
layers is a good way of thinking about it - i also analogize it to a house. the rom provides the structure and layout of the home with rooms, walls, hallways, etc. then you "theme" the house by choosing the paint colors, types of fixtures, carpet, tile, etc. you aren't changing the structure of the house, you're just changing the appearance for the most part.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good info!

Flash ROM first. After you feel it is stable, aka you can reboot without any FC's etc, make a backup (nandroid, either through sprecovery or clockwork).
Flash theme. Same deal, backup.
Flash kernel. Same deal again.

This way you don't have to go all the way back to nothing to redo it all again. If you have trouble with the theme portion you can just go back to the ROM. Have trouble with the kernel? Go back to the ROM or theme backup. Makes it so much easier.

Just read a lot, then ask questions, then try it for yourself. Don't do it the other way around.