New to root, rom flashing question.

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by superbee1970440, Sep 19, 2010.

1. superbee1970440

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to install the Simply Stunning ROM on my phone but can't find specific instructions for this ROM. Can I just load the update.zip file using SPrecovery?

Sam

2. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    It is available through ROM manager. Personally I dislike ROM manager, so I just flashed clockworkmod recovery through there. (if you rooted using motocache method, you have SPrecovery). After you flash Clockworkmod recovery, I recommend you run a nandroid backup of your phone as it is now before flashing ANY rom.

You can find the link in the bottom of Chevys signature in the how to post. It will take you to his site where you can download SS4.7 no theme to your computer. Then mount usb, copy the ROM to the root of your SD card. Reboot to recovery, go down to install, pick zip from SD card...then go to the file on your SD card in recovery mode. Install update. Reboot....bam...you got it.

If you get a boot loop go back into recovery and go to the sticky index of froyo kernels and start with the MV 0.8 ghz chevy kernel...go to partition menu in recovery, mount USB in recovery, move .zip file to root of your SD, and repeat the steps for the specific kernel file as you did with the ROM...then reboot.

Usually a boot loop is a kernel issue.

I recommend wiping cache and data 5x's each before flashing the ROM. Even though the instructions say it is not necessary. Its a much easier starting point to have a clean install rather than having to restore, run bkapps...and all that. Thats just my 2 cents

3. superbee1970440

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, thanks a lot for your reply.

I did root using the motocache method. Can I not load the ROM with SPrecovery?

I have Titanium backup, is it still necessary to do a nandroid backup?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the root/rom thing and I don't want to screw up my phone.

Thanks again!

Sam

4. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Titanium back-up and a nandroid back-up are two different things, always do a nandroid back-up before flashing a new ROM

5. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    +1....ALWAYS do a nandroid backup in recovery before you do anything. Especially going from a stock rooted phone to new ROMS/kernels etc. If you run into any problems during the install, you will be able to restore your phone back to how it was the nandroid restore.

TI is an app...its not the same as a nandroid backup.

Also, in the future, once you get a ROM you like and everything is running stable and you like how you have it....do another nandroid backup. You can restore back to whatever date / config your phone was in last it was running stable.

Also remember this, if you do a nandroid backup in SPRecovery, then flash to clockworkmod recovery...your backups are not there...you will want to do a nandroid backup in whatever recovery you use before flashing a rom/kernel/patch/theme..etc.

For OTA updates for SS, you will be using clockworkmod recovery.

I recently had great stability with SS4.7, and wanted to flash a theme, so I did a backup first, flashed the theme...still stable and good so far. If I ever have an update that I am going to apply to the phone...like a patch or something...I do a backup before applying the zip incase the update causes instability...then I just restore back to how it was yesterday if I run into probs.

Be wise with your backups.

#5 yakitori, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. superbee1970440

Ratings:
    +0
    So is there some way I can get clockworkmod recovery without downloading ROM manager?

7. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Go to market and download free version of ROM manager, select first option to flash clockworkmod recovery. Once you have done that. Do the following.

1. Turn off phone and reboot to recovery by holding X on the qwerty keyboard, and powering the phone on simultaneously.

2. Use the volume toggle on the side to navigate up and down through the menu. The camera button is the enter button. The power button on top will back you out to the previous screen.

3. Once in clockworkmod recovery, toggle down to nandroid menu. Press camera button..go to simple nandroid backup, press camera button again....it will start backing up everything on your phone...takes a while. Make sure you have a full charge (or at least about 70 percent) and be plugged into computer to charge while doing all this.

4. After backup is done. Go to the partitions menu and scroll to very bottom to mount USB. Then open folders to view on your computer. Go ahead and delete the update.zip file from your SD card that will be there from motocache root superuser you used to root your phone with. Click and drag the ss4.7 no theme .zip that you will download from here Simply Stunning 4.7 Android Downloads to the root of your SD card.

5. Go to the kernels index in the sticky here and find the link to all of chevy's kernels...download the medvoltage 0.8ghz kernel to start with. (you can apply others later, this is just a starting point. you want to find one that works well with your ROM, ie no FCs, reboots, random crap happening) I personally am able to use the lv 1.0ghz kernel, but you will never know till you try it. I recommend the mv one first till you overclock later (which I sure you will be doing, and just pay for that app...its worth it.)

6. After you have applied the ROM...reboot the phone. It will take a little while to boot up first. be patient.

7. Go to chevy tools in settings...it will prompt you to install the updates...probably 2 times you go in there. Do it for both. This will put batt_media_data.zip on your sd card...and pandora_weatherbug.zip on there as well. You will have to reboot to recovery and install these in the same fashion you did the ROM (make sure you select the right files in recovery)

8. Reboot your phone.

9. Set up your phone to your liking. I personally like the ADW launcher. I recommend using the ADW standalone and delete the 3d launcher that comes on the rom (done is chevy tools)

10. Dail *228 and do option 1 and option 2.

11. Use your phone normally for a few days (id recommend installing SetCPU and monitor your temps, get it from the market).

If the ROM and kernel combo is stable for you....do another nandroid backup....and then go theme to your liking.

Repeat steps 10 and 11 after that.

If that doesnt help...I dont know what will. lol. Get comfy with using recovery to apply .zip files to your phone.

Always be sure to read instructions thoroughly for anything you apply to the phone...read the thread...look for issues that people ran into and how it was resolved. It will make your life much easier.

If you ever run into probs....you can fall back on your Initial Backup! Stock rooted phone. :motdroidhoriz: hence...be wise with backups.

DISCLAIMER: Im not responsible for what you do to your phone. :)

8. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    if you do get any FC...run fix permissions. Forgot to mention that. If FC's persist....let the forum know. People are very helpful here. I had no idea about rooting my phone and I had it for nearly 8 months before I found this forum. There is more than enough info. Also you can probably find answers to anything you want to know by using the search box on the forum mainscreen. That is what I do.

9. jrmdroid

jrmdroid Member

Ratings:
    +3
    To answer this question is yes you can install the SS 4.7 ROM with SPRecovery. You can also install ChevyNo1 OTA update patches, ChevyNo1 kernels and other dev's Themes the same way.

You would install just like you did MotoCashe1 update.zip, (MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip) file.

Also like others have stated above you might want to purchase SetCPU to monitor the temps and to do your own profiles to save battery power.

However, if you want to install clockworkmod please follow the instuctions by yakitori. If you downloaded ROM Manager you will be able to install ROMS, Kernels, and Themes using this app. I have read other posts and it is recommended you download and install the free version as well as the paid version. Not sure the exact difference but I think it is because there is more ROMS, Kernels and Themes to choose from.

Also, you do not need to download Titanium Backup from the market. ChevyNo1 includes this app in his ROM, it just needs to be enabled using ChevyNo1 Tools.

#9 jrmdroid, Sep 19, 2010
  10. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10
    yes...the paid version of RM is basically a license. It allows you to download premium ROMs through ROM. There are some free ones that you could do, but ChevySS requires Premium license key.

Personally...you will have fewer headaches doing it through recovery and your desktop computer rather than using RM. At least that is my experience with RM. A lot of users dont have problems with it.

just be sure if you plan on going back and forth between sprecovery and clockworkmod recovery....when you switch from one to another...do a nandroid of your current config, you could lose the ability to restore if you switch from one to the other and flash a ROM w/o running a nandroid. (actually I think you can always go back to the other recovery (whichever one it was you did a nandroid in), and your backups will still be there.) At least I know clockworkmod recov saved mine, even when I went to SPR and back to clockwork.

#10 yakitori, Sep 19, 2010
  11. jrmdroid

jrmdroid Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree completely you will have less issues if you just install everything via sprecovery or clockworkmod instead of rm.

#11 jrmdroid, Sep 19, 2010
  12. superbee1970440

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, thanks alot for your replys! This is a huge help!

I am now running SSv4.7!!!

I just need a little help with the updates. When I go into Chevyno1s tools it prompts me to download patches and to reboot into recovery mode. When i go into recovery mode I do not see the patches under "install". I am doing this with SPrecovery, not clockworkmod.

Any idea how to apply the patches?

Again, thank you guys so much for your help!

Search tags for this page

motorola razr batt data