New to ROMs

Discussion in 'Droid X Roms' started by Jaeger, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

Here's where I'm at. I'm running 2.3.15 rooted with 928's Black Glass (Deodexxer) Theme. I use Titanium Backup to freeze bloatware but have not removed any of it.
    My first go at installing Black Glass left me with a semi bricked phone. (don't try to install it with frozen bloatware!) I learned how to use RSD Lite and flashed to 2.3.13 and later 2.3.15.

I have ROM Manager Premium installed and am considering a custom ROM. I have no experience with ROMs so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. What would I gain by going to an Apex or Rubix ROM?
    I am a big fan of the Black Glass theme as well as Launcher Pro and would like to retain them. Can I do that with these ROMS? Will my Exchange email still be available?

Should I install a ROM with ROM Manager would I need to revert back to the stock Odexed state and remove Black Glass? (I'm certain I would need to defrost all frozen apps and processes)
  2. scott021467

scott021467 New Member

Try Chevy SSX you can still use black glass and is just a really easy rom to work with.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  3. chkmate

chkmate New Member

Well I'm using rubiX Blurry and I don't see much difference from when I was doing exactly what your doing. Freezing bloatware and such. And 928's Theme is beautiful.

I am thinking of switching to SSX as the above suggests. I also suggest reading lots before jumping:)

And some ROM's suggest no wipe and some do.

c]=[k(V)8's Droid X Tapatalk
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Many folks use RM others use SPRecovery. What ever option you select make a backup first. A solid backup can save you hours of work and frustration.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike
  5. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

Thanks for the input.

Chkmate, can I presume then that it's not really worth it to go to the Rubix blurry ROM over what I am doing now?

Mike, that is correct. I'm rooted running the stock 2.2 with a Black Glass theme.

I have all the files I need to root and unroot as needed via SDB.
    Clockworkmod is installed and my X has been Bootstrapped. I've backed it up a few times and would DEFINITELY do a fresh backup prior to trying a rom.

Of course the last time I backed up with nandroid everything was corrupted because I failed to unfreeze apps in Titanium Backup. This necessitated me learning how to use RSD! I figured it out though and am now back to the stock OTA Froyo ROM that Verizon pushed out a little while back.

My X is pretty darn snappy the way it is and I have absolutely no issues with it. I've experimented with ADW Launcher, Sweeter Home and Launcher Pro and have settled on LP. Sweeter Home has potential but is still a bit too buggy for my tastes.

I've read a bunch on the various ROMS available for the X (and plan to read a bunch more prior to making any decisions). I'm just trying to get a clear understanding of exactly what they have to offer. I see a lot about them being "blazingly fast" and "stable". It appears that most of the developers work hard on streamlining the systems to make them faster and more responsive and I understand that. I am just concerned about losing certain systems that I currently enjoy using. (I've seen mention of losing the Swype keyboard and Exchange capabilities to name a few) as well as inheriting certain instability issues.

I'll keep reading before I take a leap. In the mean time, any more input, advice and experience you all want to contribute would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  6. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

One more question. Somewhere on here is a full list of apps that are safe to remove from the X. I can't seem to find it in a search. Can anyone point me to a link?
  7. Wnclivin

Wnclivin New Member

8. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

that's it. Thank you.
  9. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

Well, as usual, my first attempt at doing something more advanced with my X was met with failure. I unfroze everything in Titanium and made a full nandroid backup in Clockwork.
    Then I followed the instructions for Apex. It failed to install properly and I got stuck on M.
    No worries. I made a backup. Backup failed. MD5 sums not equal. AGAIN! That's what happened to me the last time I botched things.
    Ok, all is not lost. I went back into RSD and reflashed 2.3.15. That brought me back to a fresh, factory stock Droid X. (yuck!)
    AFter activating the phone and linking up my accounts again I opened up my SBF file to run doroot. (Darkonion's system) Debugging is enabled, run as admin..

Exactly what I did the last time I flashed back to stock. It runs through the program and tells me that 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, finishes running and tells me that I should be rooted, however I am not.

I flashed using the exact same files to 2.3.15. I used the exact same doroot program that I used the last time (successfully) Any ideas as to what gives?
    A stock X is not so much fun!!!:icon_evil:
  10. Wnclivin

Wnclivin New Member

Are you clearing data and cache after installing the roms?
  11. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

The ROM would not install. I didn't get that opportunity.
    I formatted prior to doing the installation.
  12. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

Root issue fixed! :beer2: Back to the drawing board..........:icon_ nono2:
  13. Wnclivin

Wnclivin New Member

14. Jaeger

Jaeger New Member

I'll definitely check that out before trying again.
    Thank you.
  15. Wnclivin

Wnclivin New Member

You're welcome, feel free to pm me for any specific questions.
Search tags for this page

do i need to unfreeze apps before installing a new rom