New to Moto Droid and need some help Please!

xguntherc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not new to Android, I had a G1 that I never messed with much, and now I have the Nexus One. I've rooted it and done all sorts of things. Flashing Radio's and Kernel's and I'm currently addicted to CM6 Nightly's. I flash em, and post links on twitter nightly. lol.

Anyways, I've never done anything with the Motorola Droid. I don't know how it's recovery works, looks like, what the key's are. Or anything about the Moto Droid Community.. I just got a Moto Droid and I need some help Please!

My friend from work's Moto Droid got the 2.2 Update and he said it messed it up, started rebooting, forgetting contacts, & Loosing text messages. So Verizon did a factory wipe. Couldn't fix it so they replaced it.. He still had the old Droid so today I got it :D. I power it on and I just get a boot loop. That is all. I've read booting to recovery is holding "X" while booting. but all I get is this
http://twitpic.com/2lpio0
is that the stock recovery on the Droid? and then if I want better options I need Amon, or Clockwork or someone like that? Or can I get to some options from that screen and factory wipe?

I've also read something about this.
"
Unroot/Unbrick using .sbf post from -ikithme-"

Is this my first step. Or is there more to the stock recovery. I just first wanna try wiping it to see how things go. but basically I get an endless boot loop and I have no idea what the noobs at the verizon store may have tried, or done. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks!

OP
xguntherc

xguntherc

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. So SPRecovery is the main recovery people that have Droid's use? is there a Clockwork recovery for the Droid, I'm more familiar with that, but it doesn't matter.

Also I don't know what OS is on this, it should technically be 2.2 because the phone "did" get the update to 2.2 but I don't know what verizon did with it..

Can anyone tell me if the picture i linked to is the stock recovery? or no, and if it is then how do I get to the Wipe options and such. or is that only on advanced recoveries?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. So SPRecovery is the main recovery people that have Droid's use? is there a Clockwork recovery for the Droid, I'm more familiar with that, but it doesn't matter.

Also I don't know what OS is on this, it should technically be 2.2 because the phone "did" get the update to 2.2 but I don't know what verizon did with it..

Can anyone tell me if the picture i linked to is the stock recovery? or no, and if it is then how do I get to the Wipe options and such. or is that only on advanced recoveries?

I believe SPRecovery was the first recovery process developed for rooted Droids. When Rom Manager was released it included ClockWorkMod recovery.

Tap menu, tap settings, tap phone. That will display current OS version

I believe the photo is stock. If you root prior to installing a new rom you will need to wipe the data and cache then.

What ever recovery process you choose make a backup first.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

OP
xguntherc

xguntherc

Reaction score
Hey, Thanks again for the reply mike, but you must have missed the first post where I mentioned the phone ins't working.

It's boot-looping at the Red Eye and I can't do anything. Something went wrong during the 2.2 update. it was a friends. Verizon replaced it. So I got it. So I can't check OS version, or do a Factory wipe or anything cuz I can't get the phone to work. it boot loops on the Red Eye, and the picture linked was what I get when holding X on boot.

I'm following the Cyanogen Wiki to root n such, so we'll see

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep,I missed it, sorry!

I thought we had a guide that would help you but I'm unable to locate it.

I'm going to see if I can get this thread into the rescue squad section to see if someone can help.

Mike

OP
xguntherc

xguntherc

Reaction score
I didn't know there was a rescue squad, that would be amazing.

I was following cyan's instructions and I've now flashed sucessfully the SPRecovery ESE81.sbf I then tried a full data, and cache wipe but I still get boot loops.

His next instruction is to install the rooted 2.1 but I don't wanna go back to 2.1 if this has 2.2 plus the radio's wouldn't be right, unless the ESE81update.zip on cyan's wiki for the droid also has the radio and it would revert back, then I'd try that. I'll wait for the rescue squad. lol. I'm open all night if anyone wants to help me out.

Edit* forgot verizon doesn't deal with radio's as they aren't GSM. so I should be fine to flash ESE81 right? or should I find and flash a 2.2 rooted update.zip

Last edited:
OP
xguntherc

xguntherc

Reaction score
any chance on moving to the rescue squad section then? or should I just repost in there.

I loaded SPRecoveryESE81 and was able to wipe, n flash and load cyan's wiki's rooted 2.1 and it booted the first time to the phone. I messed around, enabled wifi. everything worked but my home key. (I've had that happen on flashes before) usually a reboot helps it.

So I reboot, and it goes into endless boot-loops again. I thought I had fixed it. So now I'm back to boot-loops. why would it boot that first time? and not now. I also tried full wipe again and loaded CM6. I never got that to boot, it's still boot-looping. pretty lame. I'm going to try the full reset unroot/unbrick sbf by ikitmhe or whatever next.

Question, how do I charge the droid without the phone being on, when I plug it in it powers on, and boot loops the entire time i try n charge. My N1 I can charge while it's off

OP
xguntherc

xguntherc

Reaction score
Yup, not even the sbf back to stock worked. it still boot loops at the Red Eye. I'm thinking theres a hardware problem or something. RAM went back or something. I'm going to try to run the sbf 2.0 now though just in case.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Yup, not even the sbf back to stock worked. it still boot loops at the Red Eye. I'm thinking theres a hardware problem or something. RAM went back or something. I'm going to try to run the sbf 2.0 now though just in case.

10 years ago I was getting a degree in Digital Electronics and every time
I made a circuit and it didn't work, it never was the code but a bad part.
Labs got so bad I would check a whole tray of IC's or circuit boards.
Several times all the chips were bad. We got credit anyway, sign,,,