New to forum

erinsaxe

Reaction score
Have a new phone and beginning to read the info posted here....

just a couple of questions for anyone willing to answer...

what does it mean to be "rooted"?

what is a rom, a kernal etc...

I am lost any help appreciated.

thanks in advance.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, erinsaxe! There's tons of information here and a great bunch of people. Enjoy yourself!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have a new phone and beginning to read the info posted here....

just a couple of questions for anyone willing to answer...

what does it mean to be "rooted"?

what is a rom, a kernal etc...

I am lost any help appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Welcome!

I'm still trying to figure out all of these terms and how the impact my phone.

To-date, I've still not figured out everything but my brain cells are old. I watched the videos and read so many threads that I had information overload. So,earlier today, I sent a PM to one of the moderators offering to write a primer. I thought a data dictionary and glossary of terms may be helpful.

Any one want to direct me to a good starting place?

Mike

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
While there is plenty of info here on the forums it's rather unorganized and, often time, bloated... My personal suggestion for supplementing your learning:
Root Your Droid

All their guides are very well written and well organized. They also flow from one to the other (i.e. you can go from one to the other, no need to worry about searching around for 'what to do next').

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Giving this a bump cos Root Your Droid is going bye-bye! Now what?

zenman77

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Everyone here is very helpful and there is ton of information to be found on here......

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Giving this a bump cos Root Your Droid is going bye-bye! Now what?

Now.. read the forums! Which have enough information and users to help out. You don't need that site, I never went there.

Well, don't snap at me! I just bumped it to give those that are trying to help the heads up that if they refer people to that site, it won't be there.
I've been reading the forums--a lot--and I have yet to find a glossary of terms that seasoned modders take for granted everyone knows (searching for "glossary" got me to this thread).
Now some folks are willing to learn by doing, I want to understand the steps before I take them. I want to know what all the things being referred to are. On the forum this information is spread out all over the place, and hard to keep track of.
Bully for you if you have found out what you need to know by just reading the forum, I'd like the Dummies Guide, please.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
It does give a good, easy-to-understand definition of what rooting is, and the best explanation I've found for what bricking a Droid really involves and why it is not as easy to do as a lot of first timers fear (including me <g>). For info on rooting a 2.1 Droid, however, you need this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html (thanks warrior21; don't know why your post isn't showing up here so I lifted this from the email notification).
Also, I did manage to find a Dummies Guide (to terminology) in my latest bout of research: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/43671-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.htm which may be of help to the OP and anyone else in the same boat.