New to forum and Droid

Ken123

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to Droid. I had an iPhone and just got an HTC Thunderbolt from Verizon. Verizon has better coverage in my area and better service as well. Everyone says Droid is the way to go, we'll see. So far it seems more confusing than the iPhone. The Thunderbolt is much faster however. I have 14 days to try it out or return it for a different phone.

I'll be looking for info on whether I need some sort of anti virus app for the phone. Also, there seems to be a lot of apps open and running. Is there a way to close them?

Looking forward to leaning more.

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to Droid. I had an iPhone and just got an HTC Thunderbolt from Verizon. Verizon has better coverage in my area and better service as well. Everyone says Droid is the way to go, we'll see. So far it seems more confusing than the iPhone. The Thunderbolt is much faster however. I have 14 days to try it out or return it for a different phone.

I'll be looking for info on whether I need some sort of anti virus app for the phone. Also, there seems to be a lot of apps open and running. Is there a way to close them?

Looking forward to leaning more.

Thanks

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. I would assume that learning how to use an iPhone would be easier then a Droid. Not that Droid is difficult to use, anyone who gets one should be able to use it right out of the box. You will experience a learning curve, and we will be here to help you. :)

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the community the droids are pretty easy to learn and we are here for any questions you may have. I agree with pretty much everything hook said and as far as anti virus apps you shouldnt really need one from what i have read and from what i have heard. Android/Linux isnt affected too much by virues. You can shut apps down by following this path (menu>settings>applications>running services) also if you have any task killers intalled i would suggest uninstall them. Hope this can help. Dive on in and make yourself at home.

The TB also has good community surrounding it and some really good developers for its software.

OP
K

Ken123

Reaction score
Thansk you both. Os far I have found some interesting information.

Cheveyboyz, you say I sould uninstall any task killers? I've read where a lot of people like that type of app.

Thanks again.

illmatic636

Reaction score
Thansk you both. Os far I have found some interesting information.

Cheveyboyz, you say I sould uninstall any task killers? I've read where a lot of people like that type of app.

Thanks again.

Android's operating system has it's own task manager/killer. A separate app for that would just create conflicts. In most cases over working the UI (user interface). Trust us, your going to be one happy camper. Just make sure to check out the battery saving techniques these have for your device.

Welcome and have fun in here. You may learn a thing or 2:)

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with Illmatic. Android OS is already meant to manage tasks and manage memory. If it needs more memory the system will stop un-needed tasks for more memory.

You could install an app like "android task manager" (as seen in the pic below) and that will let u manage tasks instead of kill/stop the task. For example if you kill an app that the phone needs to run then the phone will have to restart that program and in the end it takes up more battery if you have a task killer. Hope this can help.

Picture of android task manager:

aefc98fd-b126-ea8e.jpg

Sent from my Liberated D2