New to Forum and Droid and fustrated

StephCook

Reaction score
I got a incredible and hope I learn to love not feel hopeless about my droid. I went to a class. The trainer some how cleared everything off my droid and I had to start all over. I have know idea what my phone (and I )are doing. I have spent countless hours trying to reload my start page, my favorite people, my contacts.... and my phone still isn't the same... I hope this forum can answer questions. I have spent hours on the phone with tech service to no avail.:icon_eek: My main question now is on a killer app when is a program killed, when it is checked or un checked, and could this be freezing my phone. the trainer installed the progam.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Forum. I don't have the Incredible and I don't want to give you advice that doesn't make sense. One thing I do know is if you have a task killer, get rid of it. It's not needed.

Your contacts should be backed up in your Gmail account, but since I'm not familiar with the Incredible I can't step you through that. Someone will though don't worry. You will get assistance.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you are correct hook. As far as basic android is concerned it is all the same

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When an app no longer has focus (not on the open screen) it is dormant - loaded in ram, but not running. It is not drawing current or cpu cycles. So don't worry about closing apps. The android operating system will close any app it needs to in order to free up ram to do whatever task you have asked it to do. So when you move on to another app, don't worry about the one left, it is fine and not causing a problem.

Your start page can be configured in anyway you choose. You do understand that all you have to do is to long press on an empty piece of real estate on any one of the home screens and you can simple choose from a menu as to what to add to that spot? It should only take a few minutes to repopulate an empty home screen.

Also, advice for the future - don't let people play with your phone. If they want to screw something up, let them buy their own phone. Don't be afraid to explain that you are very nervous about it and have not learned to operating system yet and would rather not hand it over to someone yet. They will understand and if they don't, you need to know that's the kind of person they are (selfish and inconsiderate) now rather than later.

Good luck.

OP
S

StephCook

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for that advice, I am not too tech savy, sorry, I was, am and try to stay fully charged as much as possible. But when re setting the phone I was fully charged. I do not know what sprecovery or clockwork/rom manager are, (not a clue sorry will try to look it up some where?) I was following the directions from Verizonwireless.com/learning (the trainer gave me that site. I was actually better of before I went to the class they just did things to my phone with out showing me what they were doing)

barbee

Reaction score
One thing you have to remember when coming to Android is taking baby steps. Learn one thing at a time.

Now, are you trying to input the e-mail addresses or are you getting them from somewhere (outlook or google or another online contacts source)

OP
S

StephCook

Reaction score
Thanks BayouFlyFisher Good advice, I learned my lesson the hard way. I will not even let my husband try to "figure out my phone now" I am slowly getting things the way I want them, I just can't remember what it is I want most of the time. LOL

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Thank you Hook, I will uninstall killer app. as far as my contacts I have them just not the emails or address.

This is the biggest seller I had for my wife to move to an Android. All you have to do to safeguard your contacts info in the future is to sync with GMAIL. Log into your gMail account and click on the "contacts" on the left-hand side. Add, delete, modify to your hearts content, then re-sync with your Droid and everything will be as you wish.
In the event you lose your phone or have to replace it, you simply resync and everything is back on your phone like before.

To sync with gMail, go to "Home > Settings > Accounts & sync" Under manage accounts you will see your gMail account. If the little circle with 2 arrows isn't green, press it and it should sync. Check and see if things show up in your contacts then.
Also, if you open up Contacts, then press the menu button, it will let you sort things, show which contact files to display, etc. Play around with those and see if things correct themselves.

OP
S

StephCook

Reaction score
I am trying to put in email addresses and postal addresses. I have a Mac, I tried to transfer my contacts list from my email google account. I did get all my phone numbers saved and transferred to my phone. I am now just slowly typing in address and emails when I have time.. I did not realize Mac and Droid were not too user friendly, but go figure, I guess its Verizon vs ATT and I Don't like ATT therefore I don't have an Iphone, I will admit I find my Ipod easier to use. But patience is a virtue and I will learn this Droid.... (I hope)

OP
S

StephCook

Reaction score
Ok I have been trying this the last 1/2 hour but I think mac and droid don't mix or it's me. But by the time I figure it out I can copy at least 20 or more addresses and emails into phone number contacts... so I guess I will just do it the slow way... I guess I just wanted to see if I could have an address book on my phone like I do in my computer that was separate from my phone numbers.. When I go to my gmail I can't seem to just find my address book unless I am actually sending an email.

OP
S

StephCook

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help. I am feeling encouraged. I am now trying to get my e mail addresses into phone book. I do have all my phone numbers from my contact list. and I do have my email list from gmail. I was just wondering if there was a way to import all my info into my phone contacts so I could have just one simple address book with all my info, phone, address, email, birthday, without having to retype it all.

barbee

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help. I am feeling encouraged. I am now trying to get my e mail addresses into phone book. I do have all my phone numbers from my contact list. and I do have my email list from gmail. I was just wondering if there was a way to import all my info into my phone contacts so I could have just one simple address book with all my info, phone, address, email, birthday, without having to retype it all.

ALL of your contacts should be backed up to google on a regular basis.

If you go to gmail and then click contacts i should all be in there. You can edit them there and next time your phone syncs to google it will be updated.