New to fancy telephones

jimisbell

Reaction score
I am new here, but not new to computers. I started with my first computer in 1960 with an IBM 7070. I retired 10 years ago from computers.
I predicted 20 some years ago, when the first programmable integrated circuits came out, that one day there would be a small box that you could hold in your hand and use as an oscilloscope, Multimeter, a signal generator, a TV and anything electronic you wanted, just by pressing a few buttons. BUT...I had no idea ti would be a telephone.

I am in the market for either an iphone or a droid and my son in law has convinced me I should go for the droid because it has a better network.

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
Well your son is a wise man!
But its really a matter of preference. If you like to tinker with things... then the droid is for you. If you want to set it and forget it, then maybe the iphone is right. Its not the the Droid is in need of constant maintenance but there's so much you can do with it that its fun to play with it.
Good luck with your decision

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The VZW network is definitely better than the AT&T network, especially if you live anywhere away from major urban centers.

As for the phone, it'll be up to you. The iPhone's limitations make it more user friendly, the Droid isnt unfriendly, it's just not cookie-cutter. You seem like someone who could manage it. Happy phone hunting.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome, jimisbell! Personally there was no choice as far I was concerned - I like to customize everything the way that I want it, not the way that someone else tells me it has to be. Hope you enjoy your time here and good luck with your decision!

:welcome:

depdaDROID

Reaction score
Welcome to the family!

I got my Droid back in Nov. '09 and let me tell you that the experience has been something like an evolution. Between my learning how to navigate the many tricks to make it humm, and the many ways to customize this smart phone with the apps in the market and how unique an experience that is has surprised the heck out of me. It's a very personal experience unlike the iphone which is very slick and well thought out but It has no soul. Thats it! The Droid has a soul provided by you!

OP
jimisbell

jimisbell

Reaction score
I think I will like the droid because I was a hacker when the term was invented..meaning you "hacked" a printed circuit board trace to piggy back an extra 4K of RAM...to double your RAM. Back then it didnt mean anything was illegal, just "fixed" better than Radio Shack had made it.

The only issues I have are whether or not the apps available to droid will do the job. iphone has an AIS receiver that shows nearby commercial boat traffic that I cant find for droid. I found the GeoWake program which will do my charting but dont know if the GPS of the droid works with it or not or how accurate the GPS is.

And my big need is to be able to display the droid screen on my laptop screen so it will be big enough to use in the wheel house.