New to everything droid.

bigdaddyhd

Reaction score
Never thought I would be posting in a Droid forum. I have been an iPhone fan for a few years, and over the past year and a half I started to fix phones out of my house. Since about half of the phones I fix (glass, charging ports.. etc) are android platform its time for me to learn about there software and what they can really do. I know about jailbreaking iPhones like the back of my hand and what the possibilities are for them. I will be reading through this forum as through as possible. If I dont post much here much it wont be due to inactivity just lack of knowledge. If anyone has any suggestions on where to start I would be thankful. The phone I will be trying anything out on is Samsung i897 Captive Galaxy S, firmware version 2.2, Baseband i897uckb2, Kernel 2.6.32.9

The things I will be searching for are:
How to backup/restore
Rooting (WTF is it and how to do it)

Again I am new to EVERYTHING droid.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Welcome to the board!

Rooting is sort of similar to jailbreaking, it gives us access to parts of the OS that non-rooted users don't get. By rooting we are able to flash ROMs and all sorts of things.

There are several apps to backing up and restoring, but the general consensus is that Titanium Backup is the best, which requires root.

I got some links in my sig you should read up on. Full of information and extremely helpful. I turn to it every couple of times if I need some clearing up.:)

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
:welcome: to the forum. We mostly deal with Verizon brand droids, but I think I found a guide for you: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S:_Full_Update_Guide
Since there are different versions of the Galaxy S, make sure that guide is for your phone before proceeding with it.

And here's more info on root. Don't let the name of the thread offend you: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

Let us know how it goes and of you need anymore help.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

Jonas

Reaction score
If you want a basic knowledge of Android, and what it is, check out my FAQ thread I wrote, it's in my signature. It's targeted toward the Droid 2 Global side of things, but most of it applies to general Droid things. Feel free to post on it if you are still unclear on things, or if you have something else that confuses you that I should add!

OP
B

bigdaddyhd

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I have been clicking on articles for the past few hours trying to get a grasp of it. So far all i have done confused the myself lol. I will be checking up on all of the advice given when my brain stops smoking! Thanks again.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to DroidForums!! If your brain isn't smoking then you're probably not learning lol. Looks like you got some great advice already so I just wanted to welcome you!!