New to Droid

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by ziggy523, Apr 15, 2010.

1. ziggy523

ziggy523 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. My husband and I just ordered our new Droids yesterday as an anniversary gift to eachother. We won't be getting them until Monday and I have a question that I was hoping to get answered. Right now we have a text plan with verizon and we were wondering if there were and apps that let you text to each other for free? Please forgive me if this was asked at any other time. Like I said we are new to the Droid and all smartphones for that matter. Thank You in advance for all your answers and help.:)

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Welcome and Happy Anniversary!

Check out the Talk app. It is similar to IM but it is free with your Google account.

Mike

3. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome, ziggy523! We're so happy you and your husband have decided to join us! So make yourself at home, and jump right in! You'll find that everyone on this forum is very friendly and here to help and learn! Reading the threads will teach you more than you could ever imagine, and if you get stuck, just post a question - someone will be along to help you out! Hope you both enjoy your time here with us and Happy Anniversary!

:welcome:

4. VideoGameMatt

VideoGameMatt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do like the google talk app, it is very good for droid to droid communication because it actually lets you know if their phone is on off or on standby. Me and my friend who also has a droid use google talk to im each other. Plus it uses data and not texts which is a great :D

5. eliassami5

eliassami5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    arent verizon to verizon txts free? or do they not do that anymore.

6. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Google Voice uses data for SMS but there are, of course, caveats. Namely that you have to use your GV number and the GV app.