New to Droid X

J5684

Reaction score
I've had an OG Droid for a year or so and it was rooted and I ran several roms on it never had any issues until last week when my OG droid's touch screen went haywire.

In waiting for the TB I just got a new old stock Droid X new today. I've been reading here the past couple days.

I had a few questions:

It came out of the box with froyo 2.2 and ver 2.3.151

1. It's prompting me to update OTA to 340 should I let it?
2. Anything special I need to run custom roms other than root?

Thanks in advance

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1) yup. all roms are now on .340

2) ur gonna need the droid x bootstrap (market). since the bootloader is still locked, you need to install roms this way.

lemme know if u have any more questions.

OP
J

J5684

Reaction score
Great Thank You, I'll let'r update..

Jejackson

Reaction score
j5684 you are in for a slight disappointment when you discover your options for ROMs for the Droid X...especially coming from the OG. I bought the X off of someone for $200 and gave my OG to my wife since hers has been abused. After updating to .340 and soul searching for my next ROM, I realized the options and configurations don't compare at all. I was all over Cyanogenmod 7 and excited to put it on my X, but its not available for it, nor is UD, SS, BB, or any of the big name ROMs. The few to experiment with the X is Liberty, Darkslide, or Rubix. They all do a great job but I find (personally) that they don't take much away from the X Stock experience. Now if you end up not liking Blur then you will have a bigger incentive to switch, but for me I'd just put LaucherPro or AWD on and call it a day. I hope this insight was helpful for you

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
blackdroid and chevy both have DX roms..

OP
J

J5684

Reaction score
Jejackson, Thanks for the insight. I'm good with what it has so far. I'm sure I'll get to the point where I get tired of it, hopefully the TB will be out and had bugs worked out by then. Even with my OG the recent roms almost had to many options (if that's possible) I never used half of the features on the newer gingerbread roms.

I got it mainly for the larger screen and as it is, it's faster than my OG even overclocked at 1ghz.

Thanks again I appreciate the info..

beefydoc

Reaction score
I too went from an OD to a DX about 4 months ago. It is true that there are not nearly as many custom ROM options on the DX as there are on the OD. However, there are some VERY good custom ROMs for the DX. Apex (a lot of Blur), Rubix Focused (no Blur), and Liberty(no blur, but has the ability to add some Blur back) are the best ROMs for my DX. Try as many as you can and see what works best for you.
Once you update, you can root withZ4Root. And then once you are rooted, first thing you need to download is Droid X Bootstrapper. Always Bootstrap recovery (wait for the program to tell you "Success", and then Reboot into Recovery to get into ClockworkMod Recovery. Once there you just flash the ROM you previously had downloaded as a .zip from your SD card, just like on the OD. I always wipe cache and wipe data prior to flashing the ROM, reboot and you are good to go.
I should add that I assume you have backed up everything on Titanium Backup prior to going into recovery. My favorite is Liberty ROM for it's speed and versitility, and it's awesome Liberty toolbox. The locked bootloader is a bit of a pain, but is really a non-issue as long as you reboot into recovery using Droid X Bootstrapper.
Hope this helps.