New to Droid X

Jake1991

Reaction score
I got a new droid x for christmas, so I am farely new to it. I've been on these forums for about a month now just looking around because I knew I was going to get this phone. I plan on rooting it, but I just have a couple of simple questions before I do root it. I'm just curious to see if I will lose any of my contacts, and to make sure the root wont mess with my calling, wifi, or 3g capabilities. Thank you in advance

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Like Abe said, you're good to go. Let us know if you have any other questions.

tappin and a talkin

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score
Is there any absolute DOs and DONTs that I should be aware of? Which ROMs would be the best to use? Or is it opinionated?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Roms are totally based on opinion but we can give you ours. I have been using gummy jar for about a week or more and I'm loving it. It has a version for both d2 and dx. It is totally blurless asside from one or two apps. Fast and very pretty with many themes available and great support.

tappin and a talkin

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As for dos and donts

Do make a backup before flashing roms/themes
Do read everything twice if not three times

Don't delete bloat on your stock setup, rather freeze it or change its name so yiu can still get updates.

That's a very short list but just the stuff that popped in to my head right now.

tappin and a talkin

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
When Thu get to that point you'll use an app called dx bootstrapper to bootstrap a custom recovery image called clockwork mod recovery. From there you will not only flash roms but also make full backups of any working system.

tappin and a talkin

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score
alright kool. I'm a little bit confused about how to back it up but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I noticed that there is a ROM called drod2169 and its alittle more popular than the gummy. Which one would you say is better?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Once you get rooted there are a few places you can go to get in depth instructions on all that stuff. Of course you can always ask one of us. As far as dx roms i own a d2 so i dont really keep up on whats the biggest thing. Its mostly personal preference anyway.

tappin and a talkin

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score
Well is it possible for you to link me to a droid x rooting tutorial thats goes in depth and tells me everything I need to do exactly, including backing up my stuff?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As for rooting thats the easy part. You can do it the easy way or the fun way (fun if youre weird like me and like to tinker) easy way is to download z4root from xda develpoers and hit one button to root your phone. Fun way is to follow the multiple phones link in my signature.

as for backups and the rest of the process i'll have to try and find a good tut but i have one in mind.

tappin and a talkin

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score
Could you possibly link me to a droid x tutorial with EVERYTHING that I need to know, because obviously you probably know what I need better than I do.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ya for sure. I'm reviewing the d2 hacking rom install class thread in my sig. Its for the d2 but it should be nearly all the same. One minute.

tappin and a talkin

OP
J

Jake1991

Reaction score
Like I'm looking at different tutorials but they are just saying stuff like "Mounts>Mount system" lol and stuff like that. Alitte bit confusing to be honest.