New to Droid One Quick Question

eagolfer

Reaction score
Got exchange synced, and making the Droid work so far, but can't stadn the alarm tones. Any suggestions to a technical newbie?
Thanks

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Got exchange synced, and making the Droid work so far, but can't stadn the alarm tones. Any suggestions to a technical newbie?
Thanks

Welcome to your newest obsession, eagolfer! Glad you've decided to join us here on the forum!

Yes, my suggestion is use your own. If you want to add anything (sounds, wav files, songs, whatever) it's very simple. Just mount your Droid and create a directory called "media" directly on the SD card. Then in the media directory create a subdirectory called "audio". Then in the audio directory create three subdirectories called "notifications", "ringtones", and "alarms". Then just drop your files into the appropriate folder, and assign ringtones to contacts, email, and the alarm clock.

For notifications: media/audio/notifications
For ringtones: media/audio/ringtones
For alarms: media/audio/alarms

That's worked for me and after few months I've had no issues at all. Each assigned ringtone works each time and shows up on the correct list of choices. It's that easy! You should be all set!

Forget the top 5, list ALL of your apps

:welcome:

Enjoy!

OP
E

eagolfer

Reaction score
Thanks AnneDroid! I'm sure I'll be back with questions like whats a subdirectory? But I'll try to figure it out on my own first. Can't wait to try and "mount my Droid". I assume that means either through the cable to my PC or on the media platform which I have not yet purchased. Either way, I don't think I will be posting pictures of my efforts...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks AnneDroid! I'm sure I'll be back with questions like whats a subdirectory? But I'll try to figure it out on my own first. Can't wait to try and "mount my Droid". I assume that means either through the cable to my PC or on the media platform which I have not yet purchased. Either way, I don't think I will be posting pictures of my efforts...

Welcome aboard and hey, we like pictures:) and yes, when you connect your phone to your computer with the usb cable you'll be able to mount the card to the pc, and see what's on it. Just like when you plug in a usb stick or a memory card from a camera.

c:\program files\microsoft .....microsoft is a subdirectory of windows. You card will have folders and subfolders as well.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! If you have former ringtones you can use them on the Droid. Or, you can download Ringtone from the Market. It is a free app and lets you create you own ringtone. Initially, I used ringtones from my iPhone but realized that the Droid allows me to use any song.

If you have any questions start a thread and someone will be glad to assist.

Mike

OP
E

eagolfer

Reaction score
Thanks Christim. I'll try it in the morning!!

OP
E

eagolfer

Reaction score
Quick Thanks to all of you who helped. Got it working with no problem!! Two days in and the Droid is realy growing on me. Back soon with more questions.