New to Droid ( Ex ATT/Iphone user)

cp24eva

Reaction score
Hello all. I got my Droid 3 in the mail yesterday and man am I happy with this phone. I haven't had many of the issues that I read about. Not even the blue tint on the pics. My GF loves this phone so much that she is buying it and selling her Droid Incredible 2.

SO, I come here asking what are some of the must have (or highly recommended) Apps and widgets to have on this thing. I don't like the clock widget on motoblur. I want something that is a cool looking clock AND that I can use as an alarm clock.

And any other apps and widgets would be nice!

Also, is that extended battery that is bought from verizon REALLY helpful? Will it void warranties or mess up my performance?

Another question, what are your average download speeds and do you notice a huge difference than other phones on verizon using HSDPA?

Sorry if I was long winded and posted in the wrong area.

dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Ragnell

Reaction score
Why would an Extended battery that verzion themselves sell void your warranty or how could a battery mess up performance when it's made the the phone manufacturer?

buckmarble

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Welcome to the droid community. Batteries and such will not void any warranty. As for apps and widgets and such, its so hard to recommend any certain ones. Do you like news, sports, weather, clocks, toggles for wifi and stuff? Such a huge variety for everything. Best I can say is just browse the market and see what you like.

Directly from my rooted Droid 3

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Well, I like all types of widgets in general. Things that keep my day to day up to date. Like news tickers, sports tickers, stock tickers, data usage, etc. And I like ones that have decent functionality without taking up alot of space. I still like to see my wallpaper. Haha.

And to Ragnell, I have to ask these question. I have been on iphones since 2007. Before that I was overseas for 6 years. I was also with ATT when I had the iphones. So I don't know how things work on the Verizon side. Yes in general they shouldn't mess up performance or void warranties. I just have to cover all my bases before I do something I wasn't supposed to. Sorry if it sounded really n00bish.

Reaction score
Glad that you like your phone and welcome to the light side. Im jealous that your pics are not blue. Can you post I picture of something so I can see how awesome this camera is without blue pics.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Ragnell

Reaction score
Well, I like all types of widgets in general. Things that keep my day to day up to date. Like news tickers, sports tickers, stock tickers, data usage, etc. And I like ones that have decent functionality without taking up alot of space. I still like to see my wallpaper. Haha.

And to Ragnell, I have to ask these question. I have been on iphones since 2007. Before that I was overseas for 6 years. I was also with ATT when I had the iphones. So I don't know how things work on the Verizon side. Yes in general they shouldn't mess up performance or void warranties. I just have to cover all my bases before I do something I wasn't supposed to. Sorry if it sounded really n00bish.

I'm just wondering if you've ever experienced such thing

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Take a look. I could be blind but this looks good to me.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
It could be because I took the pic in sunlight. In doors it wasn't bad either. But the pics turned out worse in quality. As with many phones you need good lighting.

So what benefits come with a rooted phone? I know the terminology when it comes to using Linux/Unix, but what things have you done with a rooted phone? And how risky is it? I like customizing things. I have a linux system myself at home. So I can only begin to imaging the possibilities.

Last edited:

Ragnell

Reaction score
It could be because I took the pic in sunlight. In doors it wasn't bad either. But the pics turned out worse in quality. As with many phones you need good lighting.

So what benefits come with a rooted phone? I know the terminology when it comes to using Linux/Unix, but what things have you done with a rooted phone? And how risky is it? I like customizing things. I have a linux system myself at home. So I can only begin to imaging the possibilities.

Rooting the phone has no risk, it's like using a computer and gaining Administrative rights, thats basically it. What you do from that point on (deleting stuff) can mess with your phone in a positive or negative way

gerrypeter12

Reaction score
AT&T implemented data tiers just prior to the iPhone 4 launch. AT&T will also be releasing its first LTE devices later this year. Some reasons existing AT&T iPhone users may consider staying put, at least for the time being.
1. Too soon to tell
2. Early-termination fees
3. Data and phone calls simultaneously
4. Unlimited data
5. New phone cost

Reaction score
Thank you for the pic. It does look real good hard to tell if its got the blue tint. Rooting is a cool thing and its easy to do. As of now though there is no reel easy way to unroot you can but its not as easy as It can be. I know someone is working on a one click unroot so it should be soon. If you do it don't delate anything just freeze them. Its the same thing but doesn't get you into trouble if you mess up.

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
I just came from AT&T for one simple reason. I COULDN'T MAKE A PHONE CALL INSIDE MY HOUSE. Nor could anyone call me.

Apparently there was a power outage and a tower got zapped. So the tower is up, but people can barely make or receive calls. I went into the store and asked about it and as we asked about it others were asking about it two. I was there 3 days in a row and people were still asking about it. This had been going on for a month. So I have doctors, and coworkers, and family members calling me and saying that they called but I didn't pick up. I call AT&T on 3 different occasions and there was no solutions. They have this thing called a microcell or femtocell where it's supposed to amplify the wireless signal. I assume since AT&T knows their tower has been down for a month that they would let people use it for the time being since they had no service. Nope, they wanted us to pay 200 bucks for something we should already have...which was a wireless connection. I talked to a manager and got out of my contract free of charge. The dude at the store tried to tell me if I got on Verizon then I would have the same problem because they share towers. While he is saying this I had a verizon phone in my hand working perfectly. I just let him keep on talking and smiled and said thank you for your service.

So, for those who don't mind missing important calls, go ahead and be my guest and stick around with AT&T. Of course this doesn't apply to all areas with AT&T coverage. For years AT&T had been swell. But when they don't accommodate for their lack of service, I just cannot justifying paying a family plan when it doesn't work.

I've been with verizon for a couple weeks now, and I haven't missed any more important calls thus far. And my phone calls are actually clearer in rural and metropolitan areas. So until my first huge bill from Verizon comes, I'm a happy camper. HAHA.

Sorry for the mini rant. :)

Also, are people LOOKING for these phones to have a blue tint? Not all phones had these tints. It's almost as if people are wanting it to be there so they can say something about it.

Last edited:

Aiesline

Reaction score
As far as the blue tint goes it's just caused by a incorrect white balance (software issue). Useing a 3rd party app completely fixes it. I use Camera ZoomFX myself. Works well :)

as far as rooting goes... not much can be done atm until we get a boot launcher and sbf ability. Have patience it will come :) once it's done the sky is the limit. Custom roms, themes, increased functionality it will be awesome :)

OP
C

cp24eva

Reaction score
Yeah, the phone is still kinda new so I expect plenty of mods in the future. I have to try this camera app you speak of. I wonder if it will improve the overall look of pictures.