New to Droid and wondering if I made a mistake......

Ima2Dori

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not all that tech-savvy, but I heard that Droid was the way to go, and I was really bored with my Crackberry, so I made the switch. Now I'm having wicked second thoughts.

This phone seems to have a mind of its own, and I'd love as much help as possible; otherwise, this puppy goes back in 24 hours or so!! :blink:

If anyone is willing to point me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative. Of course, barring any help, my wallet will be most appreciative!! LOL

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well we can help but you have to be more specific with what you want help with :)

were smart but not mind readers lol

madroid1

Reaction score
first start by browsing the market. There are lots of apps that make your phone very personal. It took me awhile to get use to it but now it is amazing. this phone will do things you could never imagine

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree...we can definitely help if we know the problem

Also if VZW installed a Task Killer, it will make your phone act weird, uninstall it

OP
I

Ima2Dori

Reaction score
Abe,

I know....didn't want to throw too much out there too fast and make me seem like a completely hapless female!! LOL

So, thing one: When I first got the X, the camera actually had a "shutter release" on the screen. Made taking pictures REALLY easy. Now, it's gone and I have no clue how to get it back. Advice?

Thing two: When I try to check for the 2.2 upgrade, I get a "check for update was not available at this time. Try again later." message. Any clues?

I'm sure there will be more "things" later.....like when they'll come up with a self-capitalizing "I".....but these two will make me a little happier! :)

OP
I

Ima2Dori

Reaction score
Ummmm......

i gotta brand new crackberry id be more than happy to swap you for ur droid

Yeah, thanks, but, no.....LOL
I got a brand new Storm 2 about 14 days before my X arrived, so if I DO make the switch back, I'm covered and this one goes back for a full refund!!

madroid1

Reaction score
[/quote]
Not sure what it is, or where I'd find it.....help?? :)[/QUOTE]

download an app called uninstaller, it will list all the apps on your phone in alphabetical order. It should be at the top or close to it. It will have "killer" in the name of it.

OP
I

Ima2Dori

Reaction score
Yep.....apps, I've got that covered!

first start by browsing the market. There are lots of apps that make your phone very personal. It took me awhile to get use to it but now it is amazing. this phone will do things you could never imagine

Thanks....I've found them.....a LOT of them!:icon_eek:
Sadly, the one app I'd like it to have is the one that will write my Master's Thesis for me!! :laugh:

Have to admit, my favorite is The Schwartz......:)

OP
I

Ima2Dori

Reaction score
download an app called uninstaller, it will list all the apps on your phone in alphabetical order. It should be at the top or close to it. It will have "killer" in the name of it.

Nothing on the list with "killer" in it, so I'm good there......:)

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Abe,

I know....didn't want to throw too much out there too fast and make me seem like a completely hapless female!! LOL

So, thing one: When I first got the X, the camera actually had a "shutter release" on the screen. Made taking pictures REALLY easy. Now, it's gone and I have no clue how to get it back. Advice?

Thing two: When I try to check for the 2.2 upgrade, I get a "check for update was not available at this time. Try again later." message. Any clues?

I'm sure there will be more "things" later.....like when they'll come up with a self-capitalizing "I".....but these two will make me a little happier! :)

I have no idea on the shutter release thing. Regarding the update I'm not sure if Verizon is sending out "batches" like they did with all the other updates or what. I'd give them a call and ask. If they say you should have got it already I'd take it into the store and have them put 2.2 on for you.

Regarding autocapping I. Go into menu>>>settings>>>keyboard and language>>>settings and there should be an option to auto cap the I.

I'd hold on to this phone for at least 3 weeks before you give up on it. There IS somewhat of a learning curve but it doesn't take TOO long to "get it". One rule of thumb is long press, long press, long press. Just about anything you have on your droid, if you long press on it...you'll have a menu popup giving you all kinds of options. I suggest you write down EVERY little question you have throughout 2 whole days then post them up here. You might not get all the answers at once but eventually someone will tell you what you need to know.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

OP
I

Ima2Dori

Reaction score
I have no idea on the shutter release thing. Regarding the update I'm not sure if Verizon is sending out "batches" like they did with all the other updates or what. I'd give them a call and ask. If they say you should have got it already I'd take it into the store and have them put 2.2 on for you.

Thanks for the suggestion.....we are headed towards the mall where the Verizon store is, so I will pop in and ask! :)

Regarding autocapping I. Go into menu>>>settings>>>keyboard and language>>>settings and there should be an option to auto cap the I.

I actually don't have the option for Autocapping I......could this be a 2.2 feature??

I'd hold on to this phone for at least 3 weeks before you give up on it. There IS somewhat of a learning curve but it doesn't take TOO long to "get it". One rule of thumb is long press, long press, long press. Just about anything you have on your droid, if you long press on it...you'll have a menu popup giving you all kinds of options. I suggest you write down EVERY little question you have throughout 2 whole days then post them up here. You might not get all the answers at once but eventually someone will tell you what you need to know.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Thank you for the "long press" suggestion.....I had noticed it, but I thought I was doing something wrong!!! LOL
I think I will be keeping the X, I just hate being behind the curve! :blink:

You will probably see me out there again, with more questions!! Thank you for all your suggestions!

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Look at all the instant support!!! You can't get that anywhere else. That advise was golden "write down all little questions you have and ask them" here, well not here but in general discussions people love to help out around here. If anyone gives you any gruff the MODs will rain down on them.

I can say this was my first smart phone and I was lost. I thought it was going to crawl out of the box on its own and make my dinner, I was disappointed. After just a few months its my hobby almost a passion. I never thought just buying a phone could have such a positive effect on someones life. My wife was a doubter too and now I always catcher on the damn phone.

Sorry to ramble.