new to droid and not happy. help!

rosem

Reaction score
i switch from a bberry world to droid pro because i wanted the superior photo and video capacity. i'm not at all tech savvy so i'm unsure if i've just not figured this out. these are my issues:

- email. that's the main use i have for this device and i'm getting a bunch of emails like every 15 minutes. it was instantaneous on the bberry. that is a killer for my work. what can i do to improve this?

- right now these are my settings: network mode (global), i tried enabling wi-fi and it was no better. should it be enabled or not? can i get it to enable only in certain circumstances so it doesn't kill battery life (which is terrible btw). should i enable 3g mobile hotspot?

- how can i get that annoying buzz turned off when i hit certain screen keys?

- how can i set the indicator light to show red when i have unread email? can i get my homescreen to open onto unread mail?

brando56894

Reaction score
I don't have a Droid pro, I just have the original Droid and maybe I can point you in the right direction.

For the email setting that's the notifications time, I'm not sure if there is any lower time than 15 minutes. Just look through the settings. Changing the network settings wont change anything.

The annoying buzzing is probably the "haptics feedback" I believe its under user input in system settings.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

iamjoe

Reaction score
if your email settings are set to 'push' you will get email as it happens. There is a cool app for email called touchdown. Try it out for 30 days

Angry Bill

Reaction score
rosem, I have some of the issues (and like 10-20 more). I realize there's no going back BB without significant penalty $$$ wise, so I'm reading these forums and trying to make the best of it. The Droid has a big following so I'm sure the people here will help if possible. I quickly realize the Droid platform needs 1000X more tweeking than the BB platform did. However, this platform does things my BB could never do.

re: "haptics feedback", from what I can tell, some of the vibration feedbacks never go away, no matter what settings are chosen.

re: iamjoe's "push" suggestion. appears to override the default "Fetch schedule of (15 min's or longer). I'll try that. Thanks.

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
- email. that's the main use i have for this device and i'm getting a bunch of emails like every 15 minutes. it was instantaneous on the bberry. that is a killer for my work. what can i do to improve this?

Who is your e-mail provider? This will help us best fix this problem. It sounds like it's simply not setup properly.

- right now these are my settings: network mode (global), i tried enabling wi-fi and it was no better. should it be enabled or not? can i get it to enable only in certain circumstances so it doesn't kill battery life (which is terrible btw). should i enable 3g mobile hotspot?

All Wifi vs 3g does is change where your data comes from, not how it behaves. This will make no impact as long as you have a signal. 3G mobile hotspot links your phone's internet to your computer, and is useless to you in this situation -- it's also an extra cost.

- how can i get that annoying buzz turned off when i hit certain screen keys?

If you're talking about the vibration, as someone stated before, it's a setting called Haptic Feedback. Settings < Sound Settings < Uncheck "Haptic Feedback"

- how can i set the indicator light to show red when i have unread email? can i get my homescreen to open onto unread mail?

I know there are apps that change the notification LED, but I'll have to read up on them. Red is usually reserved for battery, and green is the traditional Android "Look At Me!!" color. I'll see what I can find about changing this.

As far as opening to unread e-mail, I'm also unsure. If you leave your e-mail open when you lock the phone, it will open to your inbox in the same place you left it. I'll look into better solutions.

We'll help as best we can -- it's a learning curve, but you'll get it. Responses in red, and welcome to the forum

Last edited:

PaulQ

Reaction score
I was a Blackberry user. I had the Pro and returned it because of the push email problem.

If you are having an issue with CORPORATE EMAIL, you will probably never be able to resolve the issue of push email not working. It is an issue that I had and is being reported by loads of users. It is a bug in the system that prevents the device from collecting email through the push mechanism. Most associate it with Motorola's "Motoblur" system.

I spent hours and hours trying to fix it but there is currently no fix. I used forums, called Motorola and Verizon and exhausted my company's IT dept.

Obviously, you should make sure your settings are all correct but if they are and push doesn't work, I strongly recommend exchanging the phone for a non-Motorola Droid (e.g. the Incredible, Fascinate, etc).

BTW - Your email settings are fine if (1) You can manually collect email by refreshing your email and (2) you have "Data Push" checked in the settings. If those are both true and no push, you have an affected phone.

it's unfortunate because the Pro is a nice phone but the lack of email push made it unacceptable for me.

Good luck!

PaulQ

Reaction score

I know what you're talking about with the LED. Unfortunately, the LED on the Droid isn't as robust.

Like LtKen said, there might be apps out there that adjust the LED but you won't get the same functionality. There is a hardware difference. (LtKen - I haven't found one that works on the LED though?? Know one?)

You have to accept this minor flaw for all the benefits of the Droid. I think the Droid is a more feature rich phone when compared to the Blackberry.

PaulQ

Reaction score
can i get my homescreen to open onto unread mail?

Sorry I'm splitting these answers into separate emails...

I think the app "Tasker" can do this. I was playing with it so that it would open my Mail app when I received an email and it worked. There were some kinks though. I assume you can program it to open Mail on waking the phone.

"Tasker" is a little complicated so if you aren't very techie, you may get overwhelmed.

Not positive on this one.

If you stay with Droid, download "Tasker" from their web site so you get a 7 day trial.

flash24

Reaction score
My Haptic Feedback is already unchecked and the soft keys are still vibrating when pressed...weird.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
What about using an app like K9 for e-mail? You should be able to use it to change your notification LED color. Or GMail Notifier....

Last edited:

sir2545

Reaction score
@rosem.....you need to set up a gmail account and have all your mail forwarded to that account because I think (someone please confirm) Gmail is the only one with push capabilities......it may seem like a hassle but its worth it....don't give up on it. Any questions you have will be answered here with haste.

sir2545

Reaction score
Also, after you set up that Gmail and get your mail forwarded, check out the Gmail Notifier app to do whatever you need for mail notifications

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Droid isn't for everybody. It worked fine for me, right out of the box. Matter of fact I knew at the Verizon store in 5 minutes that the Blackberry was a backwards piece of garbage next to the Droid. I had the Blackberry Storm. Both 1 and 2.

But I totally understand, specially with Blackberry people about the learning curve and why it's difficult for some to make the switch. So go back to the Blackberry if you want, and I wish you the best of luck.