New to Droid and have some ?

nonamedude

Reaction score
I just got my Droid R2D2 yesterday and I love it. Its my first smartphone, first touchscreen, and one of the most complicated things I have ever seen. I have been lurking on here for the past week or so and still have some questions that I couldnt find answers too even though Im sure they are on here somewhere.

One problem I am having is with the settings. When I try to access the battery manager the app is stopping and force closing on me. It happened earlier and I pulled the battery and it fixed it. But now it is happening again. I would prefer not to have to pull the battery twice a day since thats kinda lame.

Another thing is I have froze it twice. I dont know if im asking too much of it or what. The two times it froze was due to me hitting a couple of different things too rapidly from not being used to touchscreens. I feel like I overloaded it or something. Both times everything froze and the screen wouldnt turn off. Had to pull the battery. Dont know if thats normal or not. Twice in a day is kinda lame.

Those are my two major problems. The other stuff is minor questions and problems that I think are more user error.

For one the auto rotation on my phone seems a little jacked. Sometimes it wont go landscape sometimes it wont go regular and sometimes it goes landscape but upside down from how I turn it. Whats up with that. I know how to turn off the auto rotate but if I do that is there a way to manually turn the screen. Also sometimes when holding my screen in portrait and opening an app it automatically goes to landscape and I cant get it to return to portrait.

Also one that is bothering me is I added three videos to my droid. They all work fine and look beautiful. I put them in a folder I called videos on the SD card. When I access the gallery however the folder is not name nor are the files which is stupid. I dont want to guess from thumbnails. Is there a way to get the names to show. Or possibly a superior media player? I dont need it to sync to my comp, I just want it to display the names of my videos.

Last one since this is already to long. When I hook up to my comp whats the difference between PC mode and USB mass storage. I know what the storage does just not the other.

Thanks in advance. I know its a long post and I still seem to have more questions.

Last edited:

dast

Reaction score
USB Mass storage is the standard USB device class for devices like external hard drives and optical drives, portable flash storage devices (ie pen drives). Setting your phone for this should make it appear like a pen drive when you plug it in. PC mode allows other capabilities such as USB debugging. Unless you have a good reason (like wanting to root your phone or write your own apps), I'd leave yours as mass storage rather than PC mode.

Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the videos showing as thumbnails, have you tried browsing to the video files using the built in File Manager? When I do, my videos (encoded in Handbrake) show the name fine in the file manager.

The rest of the questions I'm not sure I can help with.

OP
N

nonamedude

Reaction score
Ok so thats what PC mode does. Thanks. I dont think I will root it since I dont want my phone to brick and it seems to do everything I need it to without rooting. For now at least.

I have gone through the file manager and it does indeed show the name. I also noticed that if I have more than one folder in the gallery it will show me the name of the folders. Im thinking I will need to find an app that replaces the gallery since I dont really feel like going through the file manager. I just feel like it should be simpler than that. And I like the thumbnails. None of it is inappropriate, I have to figure out how to lock individual folders before I put anything like that on there.

Apparently my problem with the auto rotate seems to be in how I hold the phone. I have been getting it to work better after playing with it some more today.

Johnq13

Reaction score
Naming Videos on my Droid X

I had the same trouble with my Droid X not being able to tell what vids or movies were just by a thumbnail, and a thumbnail that for me doesn't even actually show the movie title. I have not found a better solution as of yet so what I did was to "Tag" each movie with the name of the movie. When the movie starts hit the options button on the bottom left of the phone. It will bring up a menu and hit edit. The tag button allows you to put a tag on the vid which I use the name of the vid or movie. The advanced button allows you to use a slider during the movie to progress further in the film.

Now I go into my gallery and there is a section for "my videos", this section still doesn't show the name of the movie, but there is also a section called "My Tags" on the home page of the gallery. When I open the my tags section, it shows the thumbnails and the names of the videos under them. From there I can play the movies. It isn't the best system but if you have a lot of movies or vids on your phone at least you can tell what they are. Hope this helps till something better comes around.

OP
N

nonamedude

Reaction score
Thats a great way of doing it. I wish I had known of that sooner. I downloaded act 1 video player. It had a trial and I liked it quite alot. It will let you organize things by folders and gives you the file names of each video with the option of using thumbnails or not. The only thing that some people may have problems with is that it wont play any files that are not supported by your player. But I dont find this to be any problem.