New to Droid and have a few ???s

GunslingerXIX

Reaction score
I have recently jumped from the Blackberry boat to the Android yacht and love it so far. However, one thing I miss is the "AutoText" option. I mean, the Droid takes care of some of that (like changing theyre to they're automatically) but not others (such as changing im to I'm which I'm not sure everyone would want, but I do). Its also an easy way say type in nasa and have it automatically capitalize it all to NASA or program any set of letters turns into anything else I want. So, my question is, is there an option similar to that on Droid that I'm missing or is there something I can download from the Marketplace that will fill a similar purpose.

Final question (for now): Is it possible to put a specific picture folder on a homescreen so that I can go straight to that one without going to Gallery and then Folders and then that specific Folder? I know you can create folders for the homescreens but none seem even close to what I'm looking for.

Ok, I lied, I have one more question. I have a Google Calendar tied into my main gmail account that I have set up with my Droid already but for some reason, the Calendar app won't sync. It says to go to Accounts to set up a calendar to sync but once there, I have no clue how to get my Google account to sync to the Calendar app. Help???

(I post these questions another forum but haven't gotten any answers that work there so I thought I'd try here. Seems to be more people here at least . . .)

pool_shark

Reaction score
I can't help you with the first part.

Calendar:
Some people accidentally turn off the sync function. Find an empty spot on the home screen, press and hold, choose widgets, find the power control widget, add it to the screen, make sure the sync icon is on.

OP
G

GunslingerXIX

Reaction score
Well, I did that and it turns out that I didn't in fact have Sync off. However, turning it on and having it sync my gmail account didn't change anything. Opening the calendar still says "There are no calendar events currently synced. You can set up a calendar to sync in Accounts." I'm stumped.

OP
G

GunslingerXIX

Reaction score
Also, for what its worth, under Accounts and then under my gmail account, all it has as options are "Sync Contacts" and "Sync Gmail." Nothing about a calendar like it says I should on the Google Mobile Help page. Why would that be?

pool_shark

Reaction score
Do you have the box checked to sync the calendar in accounts?

OP
G

GunslingerXIX

Reaction score
Strangely, there is not box or anything else about a calendar there. Just Contacts and Gmail.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Someone else had that problem a while back. I think she said she did a factory reset on her phone and started over and it was fine.

OP
G

GunslingerXIX

Reaction score
Well damn, that's rough but I guess its worth a try. Thankfully I've only had it a day so its not like I've completely customized a whole bunch of stuff. Let's see how this goes . . .

Any ideas about my other 2 questions?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well damn, that's rough but I guess its worth a try. Thankfully I've only had it a day so its not like I've completely customized a whole bunch of stuff. Let's see how this goes . . .

Any ideas about my other 2 questions?
I come from blackberry too. I know typing is a bit different with the Droid but word suggestions come up right above the keyboard. Its part of the learning curve from a Blackberry. Setttings in your language and keyboard have to be set for auto capitalizing.

pool_shark

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is to set the words in your user dictionary and you can select them while typing.

OP
G

GunslingerXIX

Reaction score
Well, it seems at least that the software keyboard fixes a lot more mistakes than the hardware keyboard does. You'd think they'd let you set options for that but I guess not. I've found a 3rd party app that claims to replace words but it is its own software keyboard so it has no effect on the hardware keyboard. This really seems like a strange oversight and I'm surprised no one has found a way around it yet . . .

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a fix for your callendar problem. What I did is create a dummy gmail addount and sync that one up to the droid. Then when you go into callendar it should be totally writeable. All you have to do is create one callendar event on the dummy acct and then switch google accts back to your orriginal one and you should be able to sync and write callendar events. Let me know if that works or doesn't make sense.

spdivr1122

Reaction score
For words like NASA (which just automatically capitalized that for me) type the word as you want it and hold press on the word and you should be able to add to dictionary

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
G

GunslingerXIX

Reaction score
For words like NASA (which just automatically capitalized that for me) type the word as you want it and hold press on the word and you should be able to add to dictionary

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Hey, what d'ya know, it works! I thought I'd try'd it before but maybe I didn't hold long enough. Or maybe after I did the restore that fixed the calendar, it fixed this as well. Thanks!!