New to Droid and Confused!

Melissa T

Reaction score
Hi All I am new to the Droid and can't decide between the X or the Incredible? any suggestions, insight? :icon_eek:

Eschy

Reaction score
x for performance, incredible for custom roms. I dont know how well the x is built but I know the incredibles screen cracks pretty easily. Cant say much else about the x other than it being faster. Havent really heard much about overall quality. unfortunately the x cant (as far as we know) use custom roms. Personally I would go with the x

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
it depends a little on your personal preferences. Under the hood they are both similar in terms of their processors.

What really gets me is i dont know if i would feel comfortable walking around with the X because the screen is too big and too big overall. yea its a little thinner than the incredible but doesn't matter that much.

I think both phones will get upgrades about the same time because they are both new.

The incredible (unless your local store has them in stock) will be shipped by 8/10 so depends when you want to get the phone... X comes out the 15th.

I personally dont see much difference... both motorola and htc are very credible and you probably wont have problems with either one.

really this is a hard decision because these phones are so alike.

Hope you choose the right one. :)

Guchi

Reaction score
What is a custom ROM ? ? ? ?

most likely this wont matter to you if you have to ask... with the incredible you will have the option of loading different "versions" of the phone software to increase speed or tweak things the way you want them and add or remove features. with the X you get what you get and can only add apps from the market.

go to the verizon store in a few days and spend 15-20 min with each device and purchase/order the one that you like most!

OP
M

Melissa T

Reaction score
I have been reading a bit in the hacking section on this site and have an idea about Rooting and ROMS now . . . great site! It appears that rooting allows ROMs and that is figured out by someone else. Is it possible this will be avaiable in the near future for the X ? ? ?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been reading a bit in the hacking section on this site and have an idea about Rooting and ROMS now . . . great site! It appears that rooting allows ROMs and that is figured out by someone else. Is it possible this will be avaiable in the near future for the X ? ? ?

rooting - probably, ROMS - mostly unlikely

Guchi

Reaction score
the word is no Roms for the X it has a signed bootloader that only allows moto/verizon access to that part of the phone

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the word is no Roms for the X it has a signed bootloader that only allows moto/verizon access to that part of the phone

which is why im not completely ruling out ROMS bc someone out there somewhere works for one of those companies who can get the hacking community the vital part that will unlock it

but some say im just optimistic..

Guchi

Reaction score

which is why im not completely ruling out ROMS bc someone out there somewhere works for one of those companies who can get the hacking community the vital part that will unlock it

but some say im just optimistic..

still look at the milestone... it has the same encryption and is released in how many countries now? close to a year ago now, and is still locked down tight

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
motorola HQ - Illinois
VZW HQ - NYC

so i think we got a better chance with one of the employees there putting something out that will unlock it. and i think this phone will outsell the milestone, too

OP
M

Melissa T

Reaction score
ok- I have read a LOT on this now, and came across something I have a question about. . . does rooting and a custom ROM void the phones warranty?

Guchi

Reaction score
ok- I have read a LOT on this now, and came across something I have a question about. . . does rooting and a custom ROM void the phones warranty?

technically it does. if you can get it back to stock when you send it in or take it to the store then they have no way to know what you did, so......