New to Developing

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by KsKnightmare, Oct 27, 2010.

1. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

So I want to slowly work my way up to developing roms, and i figured the best place to start would be in modding current roms to what i want, or at least modding apps within the roms, but i can't open the .xml's with anything. Notepad++ and eclipse will not read them write. do i need something else?
  2. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

yes download apk manager from xda developers and decompile the apk
  3. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

ah thanks a bunch works. now if only i can figure out what i want to do with it lol
  4. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

haha possibilities are endless...colors, text, layouts i think, its all there :) very fun to edit xmls and make the phone even more customized
  5. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

another noobish question. lol so pretty much all the xml's im going to want to change are in the res folder. correcT?
  6. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

Ok I was able to mod the xml's but now I can't get it back to apk form to install on my phone lol. I did zip apk, and sign apk, but compile apk wouldn't work

Sent by wasting my battery
  7. mojo_droid

mojo_droid Premium Member Premium Member Developer

you forgot to build it, there is an option in apk manager that does all these steps for you, i think its option 11, but i cant remember exactly
  8. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

after making your xml edits you want to compile apk...if its a system apk your done, you dont have to zip or sign it...if its a third party apk i believe you'd have to compile, and then sign...no need to zip.
  9. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

ok, i decompiled the apk, modded the xml's then save and click compile, it comes up and says building apk, then it says error occured. brutexception could not execute command.
  10. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

hey man, does it have any other message? or just that? if you can copy and paste exactly what it says maybe i can figure it out
  11. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

java version "1.6.0_21"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_21-b07)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 17.0-b17, mixed mode, sharing)
    Could Not Find C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\place-apk-here-for-modding\../place-apk-here-for-modding/signedcom.handcent.nextsms-1.apk
    Could Not Find C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\place-apk-here-for-modding\../place-apk-here-for-modding/unsignedcom.handcent.nextsms-1.apk
    I: Baksmaling...
    I: Loading resource table...
    W: Skipping "android" package group
    I: Decoding resources...
    I: Loading resource table from file: C:\Users\KsKnightmare\apktool\framework\1.apk
    I: Copying assets and libs...
    I: Checking whether sources has changed...
    I: Smaling...
    I: Checking whether resources has changed...
    I: Building resources...
    Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\Users\KSKNIG~1\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL3581392452280699012.tmp, -I, C:\Users\KsKnightmare\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res, -M, C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\AndroidManifest.xml]
    at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(Unknown Source)
    at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Unknown Source)
    at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResources(Unknown Source)
    at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Unknown Source)
    at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Unknown Source)
    at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Unknown Source)
    at brut.apktool.Main.main(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec command: [aapt, p, -F, C:\Users\KSKNIG~1\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL3581392452280699012.tmp, -I, C:\Users\KsKnightmare\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res, -M, C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\AndroidManifest.xml]
    at brut.util.OS.exec(Unknown Source)
    ... 7 more
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:8: error: Public resource drawable/bar_footer has conflicting type codes for its public identifiers (0x2 vs 0x75).
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:9: error: Public resource drawable/bar_list has conflicting type codes for its public identifiers (0x2 vs 0x75).
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:13: error: Public resource drawable/border has conflicting type codes for its public identifiers (0x2 vs 0x75).
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\styles.xml:12: error: Error parsing XML: not well-formed (invalid token)
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:1529: error: Public symbol style/HeaderStyle declared here is not defined.
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:1526: error: Public symbol style/Theme declared here is not defined.
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:1528: error: Public symbol style/Theme.Black declared here is not defined.
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:1527: error: Public symbol style/Theme.Light declared here is not defined.
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:1531: error: Public symbol style/TipText declared here is not defined.
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:1534: error: Public symbol style/TipText.Footer declared here is not defined.
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:1532: error: Public symbol style/TipText.Header declared here is not defined.
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:1533: error: Public symbol style/TipText.Message declared here is not defined.
    C:\Users\KsKnightmare\Downloads\apk_manager_4.9\other\..\projects\com.handcent.nextsms-1.apk\res\values\public.xml:1530: error: Public symbol style/TitleStyle declared here is not defined.
  12. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

ok so it's definitely an xml error, and its in public.xml and in styles.xml

the numbers next to the file names are the line numbers where the errors are...so youd have to search those lines and see if you have any errors

if it's colors you're editing, i know there's some weird thing with colors where it's backward or something...unless i'm mistaken

i havent edited colors so i dont know, but the line numbers may help...
  13. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

ok thanks for all the help czer, hopefully this is my last question :) what are some of the easiest parts to start editing to get the basics, cause obviously colors arent working too well for me lol
  14. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

i usually just change the icons and the system text, i havent done colors yet. i dont think its hard per se, but not as straight forward as the other stuff...i know there's a tutorial somewhere on DF about editing colors which might help you

again, this is mostly theming stuff, and i know you said you want to eventually build roms...that i wouldnt be able to help you with cuz i have no clue haha...but editing the images shouldnt be too hard
  15. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

ill try some of that stuff out lol. thanks again for all the help!
  16. jrmdroid

jrmdroid Member

17. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

ok so now when i edit the strings and then click compile i get an error that says
    W: Could not decode attr value, using undecoded value instead: ns=android, name=background, value=0x01080386
    W: Could not decode attr value, using undecoded value instead: ns=android, name=background, value=0x01080386
    but then i click enter, and it says system app y/n , i click y, then it says delete from the keep folder what you edited, and the values folder isnt there. and it ends up exactly the same as the default
    im sooooo confused lol
  18. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

hey what exactly are you trying to edit? which file and what kind of change are you trying to make? gonna try to duplicate it on my box and see if i can figure it out...
  19. KsKnightmare

KsKnightmare New Member

i pull the settings.apk from my phone, then decompile, then edit the strings.xml in values. i change the sounds title to noises, and a few other things, then save it, go to compile then it just goes downhill from there. i checked out your link in your signature and tried to do kind of like you did with the settings but i did not get the same terminal functions you did
  20. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

sent you a pm man
Search tags for this page
apktool w: skipping android package group drawable declared
conflicting type codes for its public identifiers

error generating final archive: found duplicate file for apk

found duplicate file for androidmanifest

found duplicate file for apk

found duplicate file for apk: androidmanifest.xml
has conflicting type codes for its public
has conflicting type codes for its public identifiers
has conflicting type codes for its public identifiers (0x2 v
public resource has conflicting type codes for its public id
public symbol declared here is not defined
public symbol declared here is not defined.