New to Android/DroidX

Evolution

Reaction score
Ok, as explained in the title, I am new to the "Android" franchise all together. I have been using iPhones since their launch of the original 2g, and am currently using a 3GS, and am really really ( i can't stress enough how much I mean really) tired of AT&T's poor coverage, cost, and I am not even going to get started on the new iPhone 4. I have a Droid X on it's way, or at least I hope, was just ordered on 9/7. I don't really even know how long it's going to take to get it.
Anyways back to my post.
What tips or pointers or even main threads and posts can you direct me to so I may better understand what I am getting myself into?

I honestly will appreciate anything from themes, to help with known issues, and everything in between.
If you have anything at all to add that you think may help, PLEASE post it here!
Thank you all very much for being soo supportive on this site. I have been browsing around on it for the past 3 days :)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:welcome:

im glad you made the switch :) i put together a list of good threads for new DX users to get started - link 12 in my sig

and if you have any questions just ask

OP
Evolution

Evolution

Reaction score
Thank you!
I am looking through it now :)

Technoman

Reaction score
The biggest pointer I could give is to learn the phone and all it's wonder before you root and worry about all of that. You can customize the wallpaper and stuff without rooting and there really isn't a lot of theme's and custom rom's for the X yet.

Find some APPs that you would like with high ratings in the market... try them out. Paid APP's are refundable if you uninstall within 24 hours of purchase.

OP
Evolution

Evolution

Reaction score
That's great! Is there any limit to this feature? Or may I try as many as I like and If I am not happy return them? No I don't want to abuse this, I am just an appy kind of person and have always liked the free or lite versions of apps. but this would eliminate the need for those!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
each app you can install and refund once. after this, you can still buy, but you cant refund.

OP
Evolution

Evolution

Reaction score
Thats great, that's all I would need :) Thank you for this information. I would have never known that!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You can only refund each app once, but you can refund as many different apps as you'd like, though it's always a good idea to try out a free version first.

Emitted from X.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not ALL paid apps also have free versions, but MANY do. I always check those out before buying, though I HAVE refunded a few that I was sure I wouldn't use.

Emitted from X.

OP
Evolution

Evolution

Reaction score
So I was playing with the demo Droid X at the store, and was trying to get the Voice to text thing to work ( not sure what it was called exactly ) But I was wondering about this function for texting. Does it work well or does it work for texting at all? And also are there voice shortcuts for lets say...

[Activate voice] Text.. [name] <--- is this possible?
texting app opens
I will be there in about 15 min.
[send text] <--- this here, is this step possible also?
Or must you get to the text field first?
and press the send key manually?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i personally use vlingo - incredibly accurate and does that (although i assume the stock one does too)

voice command: TEXT [full name as displayed in phone book] MESSAGE [speak message]

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There's a free app that used to cost $10 that'll do just that!

It's called vlingo. I haven't used it much lately, but I had the free beta for a while, and it worked quite well then. I've downloaded the app as it is now, but don't use it much personally. Has a few nice widgets though and will even read incoming texts aloud now I think.

Emitted from X.