New Study Reveals More Than One Third of Americans Now Own a Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tablets-pile.jpg

While it will be a little while before they catch up with smartphones, it certainly appears that tablets are making their way into consumers' hands at an every increasing pace. A new study performed by Pew Internet indicates that more than one third of all Americans now own a tablet of some kind; 34% to be precise. If you loosely count eReaders as a form of tablet, then that figure jumps up to 43%. Additionally, this is a 10% increase over the same study last year. This was the largest year-over-year increase in tablet and eReader ownership.

At this rate of growth, Apple, Google, Amazon, Samsung and a smattering of other companies are going to have a great market to fight over for at least a few more years. I wonder how long it will be before tablets become as commonplace as smartphones and toasters?

Source: BGR

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once more folks find apps like Tablet Talk , Text+ , Mighty Talk, etc and put them on their tablets the numbers will climb even more.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Once more folks find apps like Tablet Talk , Text+ , Mighty Talk, etc and put them on their tablets the numbers will climb even more.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Even without free texting, Google Hangouts is there. It works very similar to texting and may even go to the default texting app in 4.4 if rumors have any validity.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Who remembers...?...For a long time, the $399 price-point was the de facto standard. Toshiba, Acer, Asus, HP...while Samsung held itself a peg higher at around $500. What Amazon did that entirely changed the game was to shrink the everyone-has-10" display to 7" and more importantly, drop under the $200 price-point. Then all hell broke loose, and manufacturers started thinking out of the box...e.g., 8", reasonably-good pen solutions, phablets, etc. A tablet in every size and for every niche. And most surprising of all, even the never-over-Jobs'-dead-body (oops, sorry for that unfortunate twist of phrase) Apple iPad mini.

On a personal note, what's impressed me most about the Nexus 7 FHD is how easy it is to hold, and yet how well it compares to the 10" display (especially for webpages) on larger tablets. I was a bit of a skeptic ("I've got a great phone and a great laptop -- I don't need ANYTHING to fill the gap!"). Anyway, my point is that it filled a need I didn't think I had, which is what (I suppose) good tech does.

So yeah, kinda obvious in hindsight that tablets are doing so well. Make 'em fast, affordable, and easy to carry/view and you got a winner on your hands!

-Matt

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love my Galaxy Note 10.1 and My Note 3!

View attachment 67244

I've had a Tab 10.1 since it first came out. I've found I really don't need that big of a screen most of the time. I decided on a Note8 vs the big brother because of portability being even easier than my Tab. Since getting the Note2 I really don't need even the Note8 anymore for seeing things on my screen without my glasses.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually started thinking about getting a tablet for my wife for Christmas. I was told to seriously consider getting her the Nexus 7 for about $250. Is there another one I should be looking at in that price range? I personally do not own a tablet nor am I in any hurry to get one because for what I need a computer for I'd need USB ports and a larger screen.

diesel97

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
moto x 2013
I'm thinking of getting one my self. Any thought on whats good and what not ?
I know there is a sister site for tablets but this gets alot more traffic.
waiting to find out more about the new NEXUS 10,but there is no hype at all that i can find (was last years 10 that bad ? )
maybe kindle

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting one my self. Any thought on whats good and what not ?
I know there is a sister site for tablets but this gets alot more traffic.
waiting to find out more about the new NEXUS 10,but there is no hype at all that i can find (was last years 10 that bad ? )
maybe kindle

Those that I know with a nexus 10 are very pleased with theirs. I don't think there was anything bad about it, it just didn't sell that well. The 7" sold gobs of them.
Are you set on a 10" screen?
Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Bought my mom and mother in law nexus 7 when they came out for $250 a year or so ago so they could stay "connected" on Facebook and read books. Then got my 1 year old 7" galaxy tab 2 for $120 to keep her occupied on long road trips. Now I use it more then I thought I would. I guess these things become convenient over time.

diesel97

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
moto x 2013
Not set on a 10in why are they to big ,to heavy, I don't no just asking .I just figured I had a 4.7in phone and a 17 in laptop and 10 in would fit in the middle.
When it gets Closer to the time I will have to go out my hands on some

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what my wife would like...the 7 inch screen or the bigger one either. From what I'm reading today since I just started researching, it appears more people prefer the smaller screens like the Nexus 7 eh?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I actually started thinking about getting a tablet for my wife for Christmas. I was told to seriously consider getting her the Nexus 7 for about $250. Is there another one I should be looking at in that price range? I personally do not own a tablet nor am I in any hurry to get one because for what I need a computer for I'd need USB ports and a larger screen.
Under no circumstances should you get her the Nexus 7 unless you are willing to (literally) kiss your "love life" goodbye. Seriously -- that little devil-machine will create an impenetrable barrier between you and your loved one!

OK, maybe I exaggerate a bit, but you get the idea. In my wife's case, she uses it for e-book reading, web browsing (especially news) and youtube, email, etc. We're taking a trip in December and I'll load it up with movies for her for the plane ride. It's an astonishingly talented device and happily serves whatever I throw at it.

I personally own and love the original 10" Asus Transformer (with dock/keyboard) and couldn't imagine giving it up. The keyboard is tight, but also makes it a fairly usable content-creation device for me. Otherwise I'd drop down to the 8" Note tab or the 7" Nexus as my next choice, which are both MUCH easier to hold and transport. If your wife is doing primarily media-consumption then I would definitely point you toward the 32GB Nexus 7 -- other then the fact that my wife no longer looks at me, talks to me, acknowledges my existence (because she's constantly using her tablet) -- I am pretty happy we got it.

-Matt

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Under no circumstances should you get her the Nexus 7 unless you are willing to (literally) kiss your "love life" goodbye. Seriously -- that little devil-machine will create an impenetrable barrier between you and your loved one!

OK, maybe I exaggerate a bit, but you get the idea. In my wife's case, she uses it for e-book reading, web browsing (especially news) and youtube, email, etc. We're taking a trip in December and I'll load it up with movies for her for the plane ride. It's an astonishingly talented device and happily serves whatever I throw at it.

I personally own and love the original 10" Asus Transformer (with dock/keyboard) and couldn't imagine giving it up. The keyboard is tight, but also makes it a fairly usable content-creation device for me. Otherwise I'd drop down to the 8" Note tab or the 7" Nexus as my next choice, which are both MUCH easier to hold and transport. If your wife is doing primarily media-consumption then I would definitely point you toward the 32GB Nexus 7 -- other then the fact that my wife no longer looks at me, talks to me, acknowledges my existence (because she's constantly using her tablet) -- I am pretty happy we got it.

-Matt

Ok thanks for the info and report. My wife already has an eReader from Barnes and Noble so I'm already used to her constantly looking at that anyway lol.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info and report. My wife already has an eReader from Barnes and Noble so I'm already used to her constantly looking at that anyway lol.

The 7" is about as pocket or purse friendly as a Nook. The 8" tablets are almost as friendly. 8.9 and above become less easy unless your wife is like my wife and carries around a suitcase sized purse.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)