New Study Reveals More Than One Third of Americans Now Own a Tablet

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 21, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

While it will be a little while before they catch up with smartphones, it certainly appears that tablets are making their way into consumers' hands at an every increasing pace. A new study performed by Pew Internet indicates that more than one third of all Americans now own a tablet of some kind; 34% to be precise. If you loosely count eReaders as a form of tablet, then that figure jumps up to 43%. Additionally, this is a 10% increase over the same study last year. This was the largest year-over-year increase in tablet and eReader ownership.

At this rate of growth, Apple, Google, Amazon, Samsung and a smattering of other companies are going to have a great market to fight over for at least a few more years. I wonder how long it will be before tablets become as commonplace as smartphones and toasters?

Source: BGR

2. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Once more folks find apps like Tablet Talk , Text+ , Mighty Talk, etc and put them on their tablets the numbers will climb even more.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Beast Mode (Notetoo)

3. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +767
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    Even without free texting, Google Hangouts is there. It works very similar to texting and may even go to the default texting app in 4.4 if rumors have any validity.

4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Senior Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Who remembers...?...For a long time, the $399 price-point was the de facto standard. Toshiba, Acer, Asus, HP...while Samsung held itself a peg higher at around $500. What Amazon did that entirely changed the game was to shrink the everyone-has-10" display to 7" and more importantly, drop under the $200 price-point. Then all hell broke loose, and manufacturers started thinking out of the box...e.g., 8", reasonably-good pen solutions, phablets, etc. A tablet in every size and for every niche. And most surprising of all, even the never-over-Jobs'-dead-body (oops, sorry for that unfortunate twist of phrase) Apple iPad mini.

On a personal note, what's impressed me most about the Nexus 7 FHD is how easy it is to hold, and yet how well it compares to the 10" display (especially for webpages) on larger tablets. I was a bit of a skeptic ("I've got a great phone and a great laptop -- I don't need ANYTHING to fill the gap!"). Anyway, my point is that it filled a need I didn't think I had, which is what (I suppose) good tech does.

So yeah, kinda obvious in hindsight that tablets are doing so well. Make 'em fast, affordable, and easy to carry/view and you got a winner on your hands!

-Matt

#4 gadgetrants, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  5. Preach2k

Preach2k DF News Team Reporter

Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,513
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
    Twitter:
    DroidNCState
  6. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I've had a Tab 10.1 since it first came out. I've found I really don't need that big of a screen most of the time. I decided on a Note8 vs the big brother because of portability being even easier than my Tab. Since getting the Note2 I really don't need even the Note8 anymore for seeing things on my screen without my glasses.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Beast Mode (Notetoo)

7. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +292
    I actually started thinking about getting a tablet for my wife for Christmas. I was told to seriously consider getting her the Nexus 7 for about $250. Is there another one I should be looking at in that price range? I personally do not own a tablet nor am I in any hurry to get one because for what I need a computer for I'd need USB ports and a larger screen.

8. diesel97

diesel97 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    moto x 2013
    I'm thinking of getting one my self. Any thought on whats good and what not ?
    I know there is a sister site for tablets but this gets alot more traffic.
    waiting to find out more about the new NEXUS 10,but there is no hype at all that i can find (was last years 10 that bad ? )
    maybe kindle

9. mountainbikermark

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Those that I know with a nexus 10 are very pleased with theirs. I don't think there was anything bad about it, it just didn't sell that well. The 7" sold gobs of them.
    Are you set on a 10" screen?
    Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Beast Mode (Notetoo)

10. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Bought my mom and mother in law nexus 7 when they came out for $250 a year or so ago so they could stay "connected" on Facebook and read books. Then got my 1 year old 7" galaxy tab 2 for $120 to keep her occupied on long road trips. Now I use it more then I thought I would. I guess these things become convenient over time.

11. diesel97

diesel97 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Current Phone Model:
    moto x 2013
    Not set on a 10in why are they to big ,to heavy, I don't no just asking .I just figured I had a 4.7in phone and a 17 in laptop and 10 in would fit in the middle.
    When it gets Closer to the time I will have to go out my hands on some

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

12. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +292
    I'm not sure what my wife would like...the 7 inch screen or the bigger one either. From what I'm reading today since I just started researching, it appears more people prefer the smaller screens like the Nexus 7 eh?