1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New Speed Dial Widget - Sign

Discussion in 'App Announcements' started by Simply Applied, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Simply Applied

Simply Applied New Member

New Speed Dial App - Sign

We just released our first app, a speed dial widget, Sign. We would love to get everyone's feedback and comments. Here's a brief description.

Sign is a unique, gesture based speed dialer for Android which lets you call or text your friends by simply drawing a gesture (signing) directly from your home screen.

Unlike other speed dial options such as direct dial icons or quick dial widgets, you don’t have to worry about accidentally calling somebody just because you inadvertently bump your phone’s screen. Sign is still extremely fast, fun, easy to use, and best of all, you decide how to activate a text or phone call. Simply assign a gesture to any contact. To make a call or text, all you have to do is activate the widget and Sign right from your home screen. Simple and secure, it’s easy to use without even looking at your phone to find contacts or phone numbers.

We developed an enhanced recognition engine to provide a more accurate, consistent, and reliable system to recognize the gestures you assign to your contacts. Sign lets you assign single OR multi-stroke “Signs” to the people you call or text most often.

The free version, Sign Lite, has a limit of 3 Signs

[​IMG]

and the full version ($1.99) has unlimited Signs

[​IMG]

Give it a try and let us know how you like it. If you have any issues with it at all, please send an email to simplyapplied@gmail.com, we'll respond quickly to fix any issues. Also, we have quite a few ideas for future updates, but suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks,

Simply Applied
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. metsnfins

metsnfins New Member

3 signs means 3 numbers only?
  3. Simply Applied

Yes, 3 Signs means you can set gestures for three contacts.
  4. Simply Applied

5. metsnfins

metsnfins New Member

just downloaded, seems cool not sure if it's something i want to pay for yet but i'll try it out for a while
  6. Simply Applied

Definitely give it a shot for a few days. Hopefully you'll find that you use it pretty often and that its a quick and easy way to call/text people. If not, thanks for giving it a shot. Whether you buy the full version or not we'd like to get your feedback.

Also, we've got several other apps currently under development, so keep checking back on our website occasionally - www.simplyapplied.com. Our new and improved website should be up and running pretty soon - our programmer is also our web designer so he's been busy finishing Sign.:)
  7. Simply Applied

Ok, using a free app called ShootMe (Johan Cloetens), which worked great, I was able to upload some new screenshots. These do a better job of indicating how you Sign from the homescreen than the ones in the market.

I apologize in advance for the size, I really resized them a couple of times but it isn't shrinking them when I post them here.

The contact list with assigned gestures
    [​IMG]

A single stroke Sign on the homescreen
    [​IMG]

A multi-stroke Sign on the homescreen
    [​IMG]

Multiple gestures within one Sign
    [​IMG]

Call confirmation
    [​IMG]

The settings screen
    [​IMG]

Contact Assignment Screen
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  8. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Downloaded this morning (free version) and assigned my three dials. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but this seems much quicker than Google Gesture search which has you searching the entire phone for a letter.
    Assigning a gesture to a contact is a great idea!

I can see myself buying the full version as soon as I get a chance to really use the free app to try it out.
  9. Simply Applied

Hope you like it!

Keep us updated whether you decide to buy the full version or not. We definitely want everyone's feedback, comments, suggestions for improvement, whatever.
  10. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

Just downloaded this. Will try it out for a few days, although I'm not much of a caller so not really needed.
  11. Simply Applied

Bomber, you can use it for texts as well. In fact, we are in the process of implementing a feature to allow the user to choose whether the default is to call or text the contact. We are hoping to have that and a couple of other suggestions implemented within a week or so.

Thanks!
  12. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

Thanks for the fast response. This may be handy, we'll see :icon_ banana:
  13. Simply Applied

Bomber - no problem, thanks for giving it a shot!

A quick note - We've had mostly positive reviews so far and only one significant bug identified - Sign currently only syncs with Google contacts, so if you use EAS/3rd party contact lists, these currently do not show up in the list of contacts you can assign a gesture to. This is a known issue that the programmer is working to implement a fix. If you have this issue and want us to keep you updated, send us an e-mail at simplyapplied@gmail.com and we will let you know as soon as that problem has been resolved.

Also, if you have any suggestions, please let us know. We are currently working on an update to implement a few suggestions we've already received. The primary change will be to allow the user to set either call OR text as the default action. Hopefully that will reduce how often you have to select one or the other.

Thanks to everyone who has tried it out.

SA
  14. bondo

bondo New Member

I just downloaded the app. It is awesome. Thanks
  15. Simply Applied

Thanks, glad you like it!
  16. SGTiger

SGTiger New Member

I like this app a lot. Got a question though.

I use LauncherPro as my home app. It has a scrollable dock at the bottom where you can access your most used apps from any of the home screens.

I currently have the Sign widget on my main home screen. I would prefer to have access to Sign from the scrollable dock which only accepts app shortcuts. It appears as though Sign can only be launched from the widget.

Is that correct? I notice if I launch Sign as a program it only executes the settings screen. Is there a workaround so that I do not have to add the widget to every one of my home screens?
  17. Simply Applied

Happy to hear that you like it. Currently, Sign is only available as a widget; however, we are evaluating making it operate in some form as an app. We've had several people suggest adding this functionality and it would definitely be a nice feature.

Our primary focus is fixing the issue with non-google contact lists; however, we have a list of issues and features we are evaluating for future updates. Making Sign also operate in some form as an app is on that list of items. We added the icon to the list of apps in the event that someone is unaware it is a Widget. The settings screen just lets them know to add Sign to the homescreen.

Our decision to use a widget was primarily based on increasing the users feeling of interacting with the phone by never leaving the homescreen. While I think Sign does offer a very unique experience in that the user never has to leave the homescreen to initiate a call or text, there are some limitations to using widgets. I will continue to update this thread regularly with information regarding updates/releases and future planned functionality for Sign, so please check back. You can also visit our website at http://www.simplyapplied.com for the most up to date information on Sign and other apps that are currently under development.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  18. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Do you guys realize that if you open the app and click on "Purchase Premium" the market opens but tells you "The requested item could not be found"

Might make it easier for users to buy the Premium version... hint, hint:)
  19. Simply Applied

I'm not sure what the issue was but it seems to be working now. If you are still having issues, please let us know. Thank you very much for the heads up! Also, for anyone who is looking to upgrade, two key points. First, it will not erase your assigned gestures; however, you will have to add a new widget to replace the Sign Lite version.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  20. Simply Applied

For anyone whose premium version of Sign has stopped working overnight or today, please download the update in the market. The issue has been identified and corrected. Thank you very much to those people who informed us of the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
Search tags for this page
droid mini speed dial widget
gesture-based speed dial with sign
how add names to speed dial on droid mini
htc thunderbolt quick dial
motorola droid quick dial widgets
quick dial app for droid
speed dial and text droid 3

speed dial widget