New soak

nateohio

Reaction score
I was picked for a soak test, and have completed the survey. What happens next? Do I receive an OTA update like I would normally? When I click on Settings > About Phone > System Updates, I receive a msg saying: "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later." Thanks.

You weren't picked for soak test yet. You've been invited to join the pool of possible soak testers. This time around, the soak test pool is limited to 1000 users and not everyone that is invited and fills out the survey will be on the soak test.

Shortly before the actual soak test starts, and confirmation email will be sent out to the soak testers with a link to a private community for the soak test discussion. Within a couple days of that email, you'll get the OTA notificiation on your phone.

faganm24

Reaction score
Rooted users still are eligible for the soak tests.

I understand that I'm still eligible, but I wanted to make sure that my phone being rooted wouldn't inhibit it from receiving the update. I unrooted last time to receive the OTA Soak, but Forever Rooted since then.

CPKIII

Reaction score
I understand that I'm still eligible, but I wanted to make sure that my phone being rooted wouldn't inhibit it from receiving the update. I unrooted last time to receive the OTA Soak, but Forever Rooted since then.

Way I read the e-mail you will have to return to stock to apply the update.

Walkman666

Reaction score
Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification, nateohio. Good to know, and to calibrate my expectations. Kinda like a lottery.

Tonik

Reaction score
Way I read the e-mail you will have to return to stock to apply the update.

They want you to return to stock to take part in the soak test, but in the past the updates apply just fine to a rooted phone. The update in the test is no different than the one they will send out to the rest of the world a few days later. What they are asking for is a group of users for testing that are fully stock so they can evaluate the results properly. If half the group is rooted, frozen and modded and there are problems they have no idea where to look.

CPKIII

Reaction score
They want you to return to stock to take part in the soak test, but in the past the updates apply just fine to a rooted phone. The update in the test is no different than the one they will send out to the rest of the world a few days later. What they are asking for is a group of users for testing that are fully stock so they can evaluate the results properly. If half the group is rooted, frozen and modded and there are problems they have no idea where to look.

Agree.. and this makes since.

nateohio

Reaction score
Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification, nateohio. Good to know, and to calibrate my expectations. Kinda like a lottery.

Exactly.

On a side note, the update will apply fine over a rooted phone. The exception to this rule is if you have modified your phone in any way (frozen apps and services, battery framework, custom roms, webtop hacks, etc...)

If you have modified your system, you'll just need to return to stock before installing the update. You can be rooted, the only issue that may pop up is that you may lose root depending on how you rooted in the first place.

mec6250

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Soak tes is 5.9.902 - http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/droid_bionic.pdf
UPDATE​
GET THE MOST OUT OFYOUR DROID BIONIC.
Verizon Wireless and Motorola encourage you to download this update.​
Device Features​
+ Added support for National Plus Code Dialing.+ Added support for Bluetooth® Personal Area Networks (PAN).+ Receive text message alerts while on voice calls without voice call interruption.+ Improved audio while streaming video to a TV using the HDMI connection.+ Improved Bluetooth audio when paired and connected to the device.+ Improvements in device stability prevent the following:​
• Black screen lockups• Camera multi-shot lockups• Idle resets• Multimedia dock lockups​
+ Device is now capable of providing Verizon Emergency Alerts.+ Improvements in battery life.​
Data Connectivity​
+ Data connectivity and stability improvements.​
+ Improvements in Wi-Fi Mobile Hotspot download performance.​
Application Improvements​
+ YouTube videos will resume play from their previous location afterpausing to access the Notification Panel.+ Composing a Visual Voice Mail message no longer mutes the voice call.+ Messages saved with Visual Voice Mail will store to the SD card target shownon the user interface.+ Visual Voice Mail improvements for message storage and deletion.+ Play WAV audio files.+ The following apps are now preloaded:​
Amazon MP3• VCAST Apps Store​
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update,5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US, for your DROID BIONIC by Motorola.​
For step-by-step instructions on how to perform the download,​
please visit verizonwireless.com/droidbionicsupport

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
No ICS:( Glad I stayed on. 893 and held off on .901. I hope there is an actual improvement in data connectivity, its the only thing i see that aplies to myself. Is it me or are most of the "improvements" for issues that i have not really seen come up on this forum?

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums

sfcascooter

Reaction score
You weren't picked for soak test yet. You've been invited to join the pool of possible soak testers. This time around, the soak test pool is limited to 1000 users and not everyone that is invited and fills out the survey will be on the soak test.

Shortly before the actual soak test starts, and confirmation email will be sent out to the soak testers with a link to a private community for the soak test discussion. Within a couple days of that email, you'll get the OTA notificiation on your phone.

Got the e-mail half an hour ago. Looked on phone info for an update and it downloaded .902 -- it is installing now.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I find it highly unlikely that if it was limited to 1000 people, so many of us on our forums are already receiving it.