New Soak Test

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
On my wife's droid 3 it OTA updated with frozen apps and all. The files are sitting in /system/app and untouched so the updater process can see them and patch them. The OS level of recovery and booted phone are completely different. Now I don't suggest leaving apps frozen during an update process but it shouldn't be a problem and in my wife's phone case....it wasn't.

If you can do a Factory Reset with frozen apps....an update should have no issues there. Titanium backup does not alter the files, it alters the OS!s ability to use those files.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

silver6054

Reaction score
Thanks, so maybe "always unfreeze before update" is just "received wisdom" that happens to be wrong! Obviously deleting system apps can prevent an OTA succeeding (you always see the advice to freeze instead) but it sounds like unfreezing isn't necessary. I've always unfrozen so I never got the opportunity to see that it worked without. Thanks again

KateKup

Reaction score
So you don't need to stress out any further over this, gamingpsychotic, despite that confidentially notice, tons of people post and even give play by play information on the soak tests. I think many of us wait (in secret) hoping for others to post the latest about the soaktests. Go to the threads towards the end of June, when ICS was being soaked for the Razr. You will see that you are one of several that posted about a soaktest. Sometimes I think the manufacturers even hope it is publicly posted. I would also think that the manufacturers (motorola) would also include a reminder of the confidentiality conditions with all notices of soak tests... if they really felt it was that important... just imho!

i agree with you.
if they were that super paranoid about the information leaking to the public, they should/would keep it much more 'top secret' and confidential. companies have much more control over people they're paying rather than random people who are signing up online.
not saying everyone should run out and break contract but i think that they've got to know that they're rolling the dice this way

daryls61

Reaction score
Just got the soak test email.

Is there a rollout schedule for Jellybean and Key Lime Pie for the Droid 4?

ausbill32

Reaction score
My phone started updating itself at 11am (Austin, TX), it's still downloading, I'll report back in a little while

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Some people just feel more comfortable getting the OTA even if it's the same thing, plus they may not feel comfortable fastbooting and using recovery.

Silver Member
Reaction score
then follow the install instructions for the 217 leak, nothing different and no waiting.

The problem is, nobody has done a crc check or anything else against the leak, so short of the number, we don't know 100% that its the same file.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
XDA confirmed 217 and the OTA are the same, however I prefer people wait for it to be pushed to their phones so there's no chance of user-error when installing the leak.

cthunder

Reaction score
XDA confirmed 217 and the OTA are the same, however I prefer people wait for it to be pushed to their phones so there's no chance of user-error when installing the leak.

Yeah I think I will just remain patient and wait for the OTA. I waited this long so a few more days won't kill me. :p