New Soak Test

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I got the email too but i'm worried about signing up because of the possibility of things not going well

The SOAK is just like the leaks. You need a stock device to install it. In fact I expect the SOAK to be the .217 leak. It uses the stock recovery, is a patch update to the current files on your phone and will fail if you've made changes (removed system files, installed safestrap, etc..).

If you are stock, I would definitely fill out the web form/survey and get it. You'll have the official build at least a week or two before everyone else and be allowed to give your input on their forums.

daryls61

Reaction score
The SOAK is just like the leaks. You need a stock device to install it. In fact I expect the SOAK to be the .217 leak. It uses the stock recovery, is a patch update to the current files on your phone and will fail if you've made changes (removed system files, installed safestrap, etc..).

If you are stock, I would definitely fill out the web form/survey and get it. You'll have the official build at least a week or two before everyone else and be allowed to give your input on their forums.

So I can't just unfreeze all my apps and use voodoo root keeper? I have to return to stock for update to work?

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
So I can't just unfreeze all my apps and use voodoo root keeper? I have to return to stock for update to work?

Usually root and frozen apps do not matter. Root will be wiped out and your frozen apps (still there sitting in /system/app) are checked/updated and no longer frozen (since root is gone). However I highly recommend unfreezing before hand.

Rooting ICS is just as simple/easy as rooting GB so I wouldn't even bother with OTA Rootkeeper. Plus you'll want to do a Factory Reset after the upgrade anyway.......changing from a 2.3.x OS to a 4.0.x OS....big step to just leave it as an upgrade. Factory Reset and start fresh once it's installed. Re-root and restore your apps data (not system apps though) with Titanium Backup after downloading the apps again.

Seriously.....I don't understand why anyone wouldn't Factory Reset after an OS upgrade. OS updates (4.0.3 to 4.0.4) I don't see as needed...but 2.3.6 to 4.0.4....absolutely.

me_droid

Reaction score
I'm also wondering the same. I've unrooted for this but can't get rid of superuser. If su is still there will that disqualify me - how can I uninstall su if I'm not rooted? Can't do it through app settings or play store as it's regarded as a system file.

outsid0r

Reaction score
i signed up and hope to get the file, sure im on ics but hoping to get the DL atleast if it will work.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
I'm also wondering the same. I've unrooted for this but can't get rid of superuser. If su is still there will that disqualify me - how can I uninstall su if I'm not rooted? Can't do it through app settings or play store as it's regarded as a system file.

Superuser in /system/app is not root. It's just an application that lets you control root. Root is su that sits in /system/xbin or /system/bin. Without the Superuser app every application that wanted root would get it...without asking....and that's bad.

Since the Superuser.apk is not an app that the OTA would update it doesn't matter if it is in /system/app or not. Remember, the OTA updates the stock files...other files that aren't part of the stock ROM are just not even bothered with. It's when you delete/remove/replace stock files with other files is when you run in to problems.

Syko

Reaction score
Usually root and frozen apps do not matter. Root will be wiped out and your frozen apps (still there sitting in /system/app) are checked/updated and no longer frozen (since root is gone). However I highly recommend unfreezing before hand.

Rooting ICS is just as simple/easy as rooting GB so I wouldn't even bother with OTA Rootkeeper. Plus you'll want to do a Factory Reset after the upgrade anyway.......changing from a 2.3.x OS to a 4.0.x OS....big step to just leave it as an upgrade. Factory Reset and start fresh once it's installed. Re-root and restore your apps data (not system apps though) with Titanium Backup after downloading the apps again.

Seriously.....I don't understand why anyone wouldn't Factory Reset after an OS upgrade. OS updates (4.0.3 to 4.0.4) I don't see as needed...but 2.3.6 to 4.0.4....absolutely.

Good advice on the factory reset after the upgrade. Thanks for the info.

As far as rooting the D4 with ICS...are you saying that using the motofail file will work like before?

silver6054

Reaction score

Im not sure about your freezing comment. If you use TB to freeze apps, almost always OTA updates will fail, as the update process looks for the original version of the files and TB has in effect renamed them, so I would always unfreeze first.

And with a new version, if it is a new version rather than one of the existing leaks, root exploits might have been fixed. D2G and D2, moving from one version of GB to another, both lost (until a new way was found) the ability to root and the ability to return to an earlier version.

Silver Member
Reaction score

I remember hash saying something about how google handles app data differently between GB and ICS and on devices that he supported through self KANG and AOKP, he always recommended NOT restoring data. although, I don't know what an official release would do between the two.

and to add, I would recommend NOT using TiBackup to restore ANY app. Just the app data. make sure all of your apps come from the Play store, no matter how painful.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Im not sure about your freezing comment. If you use TB to freeze apps, almost always OTA updates will fail, as the update process looks for the original version of the files and TB has in effect renamed them, so I would always unfreeze first.

Titanium backup does not rename apps to .bak, it removes them from the intent list so that when calls are made for a feature, they are not listed in the system as able to answer that call...ie GPS locations can't pull up VZNavigator if frozen.

From the titanium backup website..

[h=2]17. Does “freezing” apps free space from phone memory ?[/h]
  • No, it doesn’t. The “frozen” app remains on the phone with its data, it’s just that the app gets completely disabled until you “defrost” it.
[h=2]18. What happens to my frozen apps if I do a factory reset ?[/h]
  • They will be defrosted.

concepttheman

Reaction score
Titanium backup does not rename apps to .bak, it removes them from the intent list so that when calls are made for a feature, they are not listed in the system as able to answer that call...ie GPS locations can't pull up VZNavigator if frozen.

From the titanium backup website..

[/LIST]
Actually I'm almost sure apps can't be frozen. I had that problem in the last patch update. Use astro to backup apps, then backup home settings under home explorer and copy dicm folder along with the astro folder under sdcard backups apps. Also use sms backup and restore to save you sms. Put this all on yer computer. I use root uninstaller to freeze apps. U can un freeze them all at once with menu button. Then do fact reset b4 and after. Hope this helps.