New Smartphone user

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I already posted in the I love my droid thread, but thought here as well ...

I'm a long time PC Tech and helicopter flight instructor (what a combo eh?)

I'm 45, and have had about 4 cell's, coming from a V3 to a V9, and now it was time to jump to a smartphone, my buddies had iphones, and to tell the truth the reasons I didn't were that I didn't like ATT even while still on it, and that I didn't like the way one would be tied to itunes, or the noose on developers by apple. I do think its a great thing, but not for me.

So it was down to a blackberry or the droid. (Interesting that the forum has a storm 2 ad right now on my post page hehehe)

Taking my PC backround into it, I knew that android, being developed by google, would be a better platform than RIM, I played with both, and that really was the deciding part - knowing this OS should only get better and better. It didn't hurt either that this would be another moto device. Let's face it: if the droid failed, moto would be out of the cell business IMO.

So I got mine Saturday, and while afraid that I might run into issues that other have unfortunately befallen, so far, I seem to be ok.

Me, with a linux based os? Who'd have thought? :)

I think that if anyone out there is looking to get a smartphone, the first thing you have to do is forget about what you are coming from... I see many posts about "why doesn't it do this, or that, because to me, this thing is a computer that happens to make calls, not my last phone which happened to be able to do texting, etc. If you take this approach, you will really begin to enjoy your device more. Besides, there will be apps you can add to get what you need (an example for me was sms popup, works nice IMO)

Get the complete manual from moto's site, and read it. Then you come here and ask the Q's about the unprinted stuff, I already have a list and will post when ready.

I like the weight, because I know its built of metal, not flimsy plastic. As to putting on aprotector, I'm still in the air on that.

Until then though, I'm loving it! I hear rumours today of 2.1 out there soon!

BillTheCat

Reaction score
blahblahblah...

I'm a ... helicopter flight instructor (what a combo eh?)

...blahblahblah...

I like the weight, because I know its built of metal, not flimsy plastic. As to putting on aprotector, I'm still in the air on that.

OK, was this pun intended? :)

Welcome to the forums! And your summation was dead on. Don't expect the Droid to be what your old phone was- find out what it does well & where it needs improvement in your opinion- then get the app that improves it the way you want. Voila!

Heck, how many people do you know who had to jailbreak the Jeebus phone to make it work the way they wanted? It's just common sense that no device will be 100% everything to 100% of all people out of the box. Thank goodness "there's an app for that."

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, was this pun intended? :)

Welcome to the forums! And your summation was dead on. Don't expect the Droid to be what your old phone was- find out what it does well & where it needs improvement in your opinion- then get the app that improves it the way you want. Voila!

I'm glad to see that our members have wit as well as being wise :)

(Wasn't intended, but just worked out that way)