New Settings Menu?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I have been spending the last day going through my Galaxy Note 3 and turning off apps/features I don't want. Anyway, somehow last night after a restart, I changed the settings button. Before the change, I'd hit the Settings button and everything would be in one long scroll list. Now, if I hit the settings button, I have 4 tabs at the top (Connections, Device, Controls, General) with a lot more settings than I remember having. Any idea what I did? I love the new settings button so not looking to change back.

The last OS update was the night I got the phone - the 15th so I know it wasn't an OS update last night that caused that to change.

Also side question not related: is it normal to have 6.74GB of Miscellaneous files (6.73GB for System Memory)? I noticed the Samsung Gallery app was guzzling gigs of data trying to sync my 70k Picasa albums - I stopped it by the time it got to 4GB and turned off the app (prefer Google's gallery app) - maybe I need to clear that? Is that possible unrooted? I tried several apps people recommend but they don't see 6.7GB anywhere. The /Storage/emulated/0/DCIM/thumbnail folder only has the pictures I've taken.

This phone is the best phone I've ever had. I've had a Motorola Droid 1 --> HTC Thunderbolt --> iPhone 4s --> iPhone 5 --> Moto X --> Note 3. Very happy with this phone minus the 6.7GB of internal storage I can't free up and adware apps that are forced on me (want to stay away from rooting if I can).

Thanks for your time/help,
-Paul

jsandy

Reaction score
I'm rooted and running JellyBean's ROM but when I was stock, iirc, at the top of the settings page, next to the word "Settings" there is a small box shaped icon. I believe this toggles between list and tab.

cadre.9

Reaction score
Go to Settings, tap the Menu icon and select "Switch to list view".

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
As for the large misc files - have you tried the application manager and cleared cache / data on the Picasa Uploader (under the "all" tab)...

OP
B

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
As for the large misc files - have you tried the application manager and cleared cache / data on the Picasa Uploader (under the "all" tab)...

Yes, that's at 16KB right now. From what I have read (did a bit of googling) - the Settings --> Storage --> Miscellaneous Files (System Memory @ 6.73GB) is for Touchwiz and other Samsung stuff. That's what I'm seeing - lots of unknown posts. I don't really like 6.73GB being used but I'm not going to fight it. I saw the 3GB of Picasa cache that Gallery tried to sync and wiped that out. So I'm sitting on 22.2GB of free space atm after a year of heavy usage I should be 15+GB free (my assumption). I LOVE that pictures get sent to the SD card. LOVE this phone's camera.... Was crying about the Moto X's camera after leaving an iPhone 5 for it.... Now I'm showing my wife every picture I take saying how much better it is (she has an iPhone 5s). :) lol.