1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

New Settings Menu?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note 3' started by BigMcGuire, Feb 17, 2014.

1. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

I have been spending the last day going through my Galaxy Note 3 and turning off apps/features I don't want. Anyway, somehow last night after a restart, I changed the settings button. Before the change, I'd hit the Settings button and everything would be in one long scroll list. Now, if I hit the settings button, I have 4 tabs at the top (Connections, Device, Controls, General) with a lot more settings than I remember having. Any idea what I did? I love the new settings button so not looking to change back.

The last OS update was the night I got the phone - the 15th so I know it wasn't an OS update last night that caused that to change.

Also side question not related: is it normal to have 6.74GB of Miscellaneous files (6.73GB for System Memory)? I noticed the Samsung Gallery app was guzzling gigs of data trying to sync my 70k Picasa albums - I stopped it by the time it got to 4GB and turned off the app (prefer Google's gallery app) - maybe I need to clear that? Is that possible unrooted? I tried several apps people recommend but they don't see 6.7GB anywhere. The /Storage/emulated/0/DCIM/thumbnail folder only has the pictures I've taken.

This phone is the best phone I've ever had. I've had a Motorola Droid 1 --> HTC Thunderbolt --> iPhone 4s --> iPhone 5 --> Moto X --> Note 3. Very happy with this phone minus the 6.7GB of internal storage I can't free up and adware apps that are forced on me (want to stay away from rooting if I can).

Thanks for your time/help,
    -Paul
  2. jsandy

jsandy New Member

I'm rooted and running JellyBean's ROM but when I was stock, iirc, at the top of the settings page, next to the word "Settings" there is a small box shaped icon. I believe this toggles between list and tab.
  3. cadre.9

cadre.9 Member

Go to Settings, tap the Menu icon and select "Switch to list view".
  4. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator Staff Member

As for the large misc files - have you tried the application manager and cleared cache / data on the Picasa Uploader (under the "all" tab)...
  5. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

Thank you!!!!! Having to memorize a whole new menu system was getting really really old.
  6. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

Yes, that's at 16KB right now. From what I have read (did a bit of googling) - the Settings --> Storage --> Miscellaneous Files (System Memory @ 6.73GB) is for Touchwiz and other Samsung stuff. That's what I'm seeing - lots of unknown posts. I don't really like 6.73GB being used but I'm not going to fight it. I saw the 3GB of Picasa cache that Gallery tried to sync and wiped that out. So I'm sitting on 22.2GB of free space atm after a year of heavy usage I should be 15+GB free (my assumption). I LOVE that pictures get sent to the SD card. LOVE this phone's camera.... Was crying about the Moto X's camera after leaving an iPhone 5 for it.... Now I'm showing my wife every picture I take saying how much better it is (she has an iPhone 5s). :) lol.
Search tags for this page
6.73 gb system memory s4
android storage miscellaneous files
i have been spending the last day going through my galaxy no
samsung note 3 settings - tabs
settings menu note 3
what are miscellaneous files on galaxy s3

would like tabs in settings