new set speed script for bugless!

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Se7enLC, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh hey, actually checking to see if they were r/o to start with before just remounting /system as r/o on exit, that's a pretty good idea!

2. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, all my converting from khz to mhz, and other juicy stuff is in the GUI java code.

3. WhiskeySix

WhiskeySix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - so I'm concluding that this script no additional benefit for those of us already using SetCPU.

4. craighwk

craighwk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Considering you don't need SetCPU for BB, you're wasting resources by using it. This this gives us more functionality in line with what SetCPU offers.

Plus it's free.

5. WhiskeySix

WhiskeySix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's the 'more functionality' part that I'm missing here, sorry :) Am I mistaken: this script allows one to "permanently" set the min/max CLK rates and throttling scheme, correct?

(I use profiles in setCPU to dynamically scale-back the clock rate as the battery starts to get low... so I think it's actually a net savings of "resources")

6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They both have pros and cons. SetCPU offers a nice user interface, temperature monitoring and profiles. Very nice features, at a cost of having the app running all the time on the phone, using resources (a small amount, IMO, but w/e, some people are picky). In summary - yes, this script offers no additional features over SetCPU - in fact, SetCPU has MORE features than this script.

Pete's idea for bugless beast was to eliminate the need for apps that run in the background by providing some of the important functionality without the memory and cpu resident requirement. BB sets the cpu speed to maximum on boot and doesn't have any easy way to modify it, or monitor the speed or temperature of the cpu.

I wrote this script to bridge the gap - allow a user to easily set the speed to whatever they want without needing an application running all the time.

So it's a pro/con decision. SetCPU has more features and a more friendly interface, but occupies memory and cpu time. Pete's BB and my setspeed script don't occupy any cpu or memory, but are missing out on the profiles and temperature monitoring of the SetCPU app.

Exactly - that's all this script does. It has more functionality than Pete's BB by itself (by making those items easily configurable - both permanently AND on-the-fly). It has less functionality than SetCPU (which has those features already, AND has profiles and temperature monitoring).

Same here. Ironically, yes, I usually use SetCPU instead of my own script. I only stopped using SetCPU when it had a major CPU-hogging problem around 1.52 or so, which I believe is fixed now.

#54 Se7enLC, Jun 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  7. WhiskeySix

WhiskeySix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, good stuff se7en, thanks for the info! (and nice work :))

8. craighwk

craighwk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, way better than my pathetic explanation. heh

Working great. Thanks!

9. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Se7enLC,

Quick question for you...

I had what I think was an older version of the text file on the root of my sdcard, and I ran the sh command to install it last night, but I was struggling to get it to work.

I then saw that there may be a newer one in your first post in this thread, and I downloaded and installed it, and it solved my issues - now I can just use commands like "setmax 1200" to set the max speed, etc.

My question is - can I remove the other commands from the /system/xbin/ folder? Specifically - all the ones that say "speedXXX", where XXX is a number ranging from 000 to 1250? Are these no longer needed, or are they used by the setmax and setmin scripts? I noticed that they have older dates on them, and was just curious. Also, can these simply be removed with root explorer?

Thanks!

You are a very helpful resource on this forum!

10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, feel free to delete those old files. You can delete them with root explorer OR you can just type "setspeed reinstall" and it will automatically remove all old+current versions and reinstall itself.

11. spiff72

spiff72 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect - i did the reinstall, and it deleted those files, but i was getting an error message about a bad link. I then tried the uninstall option and the reran the sh command to install it and now it is working perfectly - no errors (and no extra files). I really like this implementation best - it seems the most intuitive and easy to use.

I actually deleted SetCPU off my phone since I don't need it anymore!

Thanks!

12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BB 0.3 just came out. Frequency is still automatically scaled to max, min hard-coded to 250 by default. The location of the busybox binary changed from /system/xbin to /system/bin, so I had to make a minor modification for it to work. The new script should work fine, let me know if there are any problems.

#60 Se7enLC, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
Search tags for this page
android /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling max fre
android cpu scaling
cpu scaling unsupported android

droid 4 speedscript

manually set android governor minimum frequency
scaling setspeed unsupported
scaling setspeed unsupported android problem
set min frequency script android

speed scripts for android