New server active.. please report problems in here

J

JohnDroid

We just cut over to the new server, so if you are seeing this message that means you are on the new upgraded webserver.

If you notice any problems with the cutover, please post them in here. Thanks!

SGTiger

Reaction score
Well starting today, I started receiving email notifications every time someone replies in a subscribed thread. I went to edit options and set it to no email notification for subscribed threads, but I am still getting emails like crazy.

Is this related to the new server? Either way, what can I do to stop my email from being flooded?

OP
J

JohnDroid

Well starting today, I started receiving email notifications every time someone replies in a subscribed thread. I went to edit options and set it to no email notification for subscribed threads, but I am still getting emails like crazy.

Is this related to the new server? Either way, what can I do to stop my email from being flooded?

No the new server should not have changed this. Somewhere along the way you changed your notification settings.

Even if you change them however, the threads that were subscribed in the "instant notification" setting will still be set that way. You can edit individual threads or full pages of threads and set the notification to whatever method you want from this screen:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/subscription.php

Check the boxes to the right and below there is a dropdown where you can change your settings.

SGTiger

Reaction score
No the new server should not have changed this. Somewhere along the way you changed your notification settings.

Well okay, but just for the record: All 153 subscribed threads were set to instant. I am going through 8 pages of these threads to change them. Today is the first day that I started receiving these notification into my gmail.

As a computer networking engineer, I know you are probably thinking that I have been receiving these notifications all along and am confused. That is what I would think if I were you. However I will assure you today is when this started. Regardless, I am now changing all my threads to no email notification. Thanks for the help.

RedBull

Reaction score
Yesterday morning, things were quite slow. As the day wore on, it got beter.

Now...it seems smooth as a baby's...well...you know...lol

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Me too

Well okay, but just for the record: All 153 subscribed threads were set to instant. I am going through 8 pages of these threads to change them. Today is the first day that I started receiving these notification into my gmail.

As a computer networking engineer, I know you are probably thinking that I have been receiving these notifications all along and am confused. That is what I would think if I were you. However I will assure you today is when this started. Regardless, I am now changing all my threads to no email notification. Thanks for the help.

I've been a computer programmer for 10+ years. I am receiving a ton of emails from droidforums.net all of a sudden and have made no changes.

The old site was kinda broken. Now it's working a little too well. Instant email notifications used to get lost/never sent OR there's a server config that used to throttle the number of emails being sent out--either in the forum control panel, the mail server, uh...outbound firewall, could be a lot of causes.

OP
J

JohnDroid

I have no idea why those subscription settings would have been changed during the move. We did a simple site copy and no settings should have been changed.

Were you getting ANY type of notifications before?

SGTiger

Reaction score
I have no idea why those subscription settings would have been changed during the move. We did a simple site copy and no settings should have been changed.

I have never received notifications. Perhaps my account has always been set for email notifications, but the old server was not working as it should. Then when moving to the new server, email notifications suddenly started working.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes, and I think I want to take back what I said. I just saw hundreds of emails in my inbox and thought "me too!". It turns out that most of the email notifications were for a very popular (2.1) thread that got 1000 posts in a short period of time. Maybe I have never been subscribed to such a popular thread before. I'll let you know if I come across any other pertinent info. Sorry for the scare.

OP
J

JohnDroid

I have never received notifications. Perhaps my account has always been set for email notifications, but the old server was not working as it should. Then when moving to the new server, email notifications suddenly started working.

That or your ISP/Host was blocking them before and now that the server has changed IP addresses, they are no longer blocking.

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Yesterday morning, things were quite slow. As the day wore on, it got beter.

Now...it seems smooth as a baby's...well...you know...lol

think the word your lookin for is "bottom" Bud haha

Forum seems to running streamline Super Good New Server i make up inflections! lol

RedBull

Reaction score
The only thing I'm not too crazy about right now is all the underlined words with links...(not sure what they're called) But I scrolled over someones sig that had the word "Smartphone" in it and I saw an AT&T ad.

Is there a way to make those go away? Maybe a profile setting?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only thing I'm not too crazy about right now is all the underlined words with links...(not sure what they're called) But I scrolled over someones sig that had the word "Smartphone" in it and I saw an AT&T ad.

Is there a way to make those go away? Maybe a profile setting?

That's how these guys can afford to run this site, but you could run AdBlock plus in your browser to choke that off. Running noscript or just turning off JavaScript might work too. Ha, there's one of those mouseover ads in the word JavaScript!