New Samsung 256GB MicroSD Card Coming!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A little known fact is that most new phones that have micro sdcard support actually support expandable storage up to 2TB! The Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge support 2TB of expandable storage even though Samsung only advertises 200GB. The reason they only advertise 200GB is because it would sound pretty gimmicky to advertise 2TB support when such a micro sdcard doesn't even exists.

Samsung is getting us closer to such a micro sdcard with their upcoming 256GB micro sdcard. The card features read/write speeds of 95MBs and 90MBs. The card will go on sale in June for $249.99. With this card you would be able to store 55,200 photos, 12 hours of 4k video, and 23,500 mp3 files. This card is also waterproof and magnet proof.

via Samsung

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

A little known fact is that most new phones that have micro sdcard support actually support expandable storage up to 2TB! The Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge support 2TB of expandable storage even though Samsung only advertises 200GB. The reason they only advertise 200GB is because it would sound pretty gimmicky to advertise 2TB support when such a micro sdcard doesn't even exists.

Samsung is getting us closer to such a micro sdcard with their upcoming 256GB micro sdcard. The card features read/write speeds of 95MBs and 90MBs. The card will go on sale in June for $249.99. With this card you would be able to store 55,200 photos, 12 hours of 4k video, and 23,500 mp3 files. This card is also waterproof and magnet proof.

via Samsung
I'm waiting till they announce the 500GB and this one is on sale for $40, then I'll buy. At the rate things are going that could be next week!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Why would anyone need a 256G SD?

adaro

Banned
Reaction score
250$, it's really expensive, I wonder if the manufacturing's costs reach the 50$

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
samsung s7 http://galaxys7.fr/

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
250$, it's really expensive, I wonder if the manufacturing's costs reach the 50$
My understanding is the more they "run" or make at a time the lower the cost gets. As the higher capacity ones sell more, the more they make of them, thus lowering the cost which the savings gets passed on to us. As a former production manager I used to attempt to put like batches of my product behind each other because each order required setup time and any time I could run 2, or more, of the same setup it saved me time, thus more profitable. I did it more to for delivery scheduling help but the extra profit made my bosses happy. If I understand correctly with memory it's the same principle.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

silverfang77

Reaction score
What would happen if you out this card in an older phone, like the Note Edge?

Sent from my SM-N915V using DroidForums

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What would happen if you out this card in an older phone, like the Note Edge?

It would read/write its maximum ability and ignore the rest. On an OLDER digital camera it was capable of 128MB of sd card and all I had was a 256. It acted as if there was a 128MB card in all aspects, even saying card full when I reached the max rated. I don't remember where I read it but if memory serves the Note4 and Note Edge are capable of 1TB cards. I'll look it up if I get time and don't forget to confirm.
I was wrong. It's larger than 1TB
200gb micro sd cards work fine with note 4 • /r/galaxynote4

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

silverfang77

Reaction score
1 TB, my little phone? If that's the case, maybe I'll get the 256 GB card.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone need a 256G SD?
Boy, that brings back a memory.
My first desktop (early 90's) came with a 20 Meg hard drive. My buddy who was a computer geek was soooooo jealous, and said it would last me a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

silverfang77

Reaction score
The people who record and send in 4k video must have unlimited data. That's fine for them, but most of us are capped these days.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The people who record and send in 4k video must have unlimited data. That's fine for them, but most of us are capped these days.

You can't even tell the difference from 4k to 720p on a phone.

I always ask my friends if they are on wifi before sending large videos.