New Saab Automobiles will be like a Giant Android Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOd9oX1p4s&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Have you ever thought it would be cool to have an Android Tablet built-in to your car? That idea is one-step closer to reality thanks to Saab Automobile. Saab shared today that their newest vehicles will soon come with Android operating systems powering their 'IQon' "infotainment system". With an 8-inch touchscreen it will primarily be used for audio, video and GPS, but it will also be able to monitor your car's on-board computer and will be upgradeable, customizable and allow you to download apps.

Here's what Saab had to say in their press release,
Saab's 'open innovation' strategy offers the global developer community access to the full bandwidth of car communications – infotainment, telematics, systems monitoring and diagnostics. In this way, it opens up new dimensions in customer choice for the personalization of in-car services. Even applications specific to particular countries can be included.

This is pretty slick stuff. Let's hope this is a 'trend' that other car manufacturers follow.

Source: AndroidTablets.net via AndroidPolice and Saab Android Powered IQon Infotainment System Full Press Release

Reaction score
I've actually been holding off putting together a CarPC because these Android based systems are becoming more common, at least in OEMs.

My favorite part of all of this is making info from the car available via APIs. You can do stuff like this now by tapping into OBDII, but this is going to new levels. Really awesome stuff.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
yes but does it have flash or gingerbread...haha...

nah thats pretty sweet

RyanPm40

Reaction score
That is amazing and I would love to have that integrated into my car! Too bad I'm only 18 and will never be able to buy a brand new car! I'll stick to my 1993 G20 and just use my incredible for now XD

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Saab: FIRST!!

Now if Android-based car stereos can start hitting the mass-produced aftermarket, that would be awesome. I would certainly replace my Kenwood DNX-6140 with one.

bsbabcock

Reaction score
I'm hoping the aftermarket will pick up with 2-din android-powered head units like this with solid audio section, multiple outputs that can be tuned (high-end in-car processing). The first to bring that to the table will be big (I suspect Pioneer or Alpine may already be considering). The interface is pretty much done with the android OS.. Just apply the right apps like the Saab setup.

volando

Reaction score
Next step: writing an autopilot app...

(I really want this in my car, damn it!!!)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
As if I'd pay VZW another $15-$30 for data for my car stereo!

It is interesting, and we will and are seeing Android pop-up in more electronics. But there are already bluetooth adapters out there that work pretty good with your phone, I think (haven't used any). Plus, you have Sync in Ford and not sure what GM has that are already pretty darn solid.

It's cool, but I struggle to see the point (yeah, until we have auto-pilot!). All I really need is bluetooth capability so my Droid can control the speakers.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I would love this in my car and cannot wait til after market android units hit the shelves or more auto makers go this route.

Jeru

Reaction score
This is probably one of the best Saab Accessories today. I mean, this is a very good innovation for them. This will make a lot of hi tech functionality on the car. I want my car to have this. dancedroid

Jeru

Reaction score
In addition to this. I'm just wondering what are the additional or the advantage of this on the navigation system. Can anyone tell me? Thanks..

Last edited: