New ROM

brismith6

Reaction score
Anyone working on trying to unlock the bootloader? Or an ERA when it will be unlocked? Don't see a point in rooting if you can't run custom roms and overclock.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

dparm

Reaction score
Rooting allows for removal of pre-installed software, among other things. Not everyone wants a custom ROM.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
There are useful apps that need root to use as well. Custom ROMs and OC'n kernels are just a sweet bouns given that the bootloader is unlocked. All we could do is hope the devs can unlock it, time will tell. Be grateful that we have root access with it only being out for a very short time.

clem11388

Reaction score
What about un-rooting? My friend just got the Droid Bionic. He was loving it for the 4G, big screen and HDMI output. But it was having connectivity problems. not at specific to just 4G. He would try to get on the market, use the browser, or do Speedtest.net, and sometimes it would work sometimes not. But he didn't think much of it. Thought it was just issues with Verizon letting the Bionic make a connection in general. So he wanted to go ahead and root it. And it worked great and was easy with the Motorola One Click Root ( wish there was Linux support!!! ) And he was anxiously awaiting WiFi tether and SetCPU to be updated for the Bionic. But the internet connectivity issues were progressively getting worse until it just would almost never connect no matter how much signal he had. Nothing helped, not even turning off the 4G or doing a factory reset. So he wants to take it back to Verizon cause he's still the the 14 day warranty period. But is worried once they see its rooted, they'll just out right refuse to help him and will lose any chance of getting a working phone. Yes we both knew that rooting was going to void the warranty, but we didn't know that this was such a serious issue. And now hope we can find info on un-rooting it. Or how to fix the issue ourself. Is this a hardware issue or is this something that a new Rom could fix?? The phone said to be the most internet power house, having connectivity issues...might as well call it the Ironic Bionic huh?? hahahaAny help would be very appreciated. Thank you guys!!!P.S. do any of you guys know of any phones with these qualities?--Totally unlocked bootloader. I want be able to put any OS I want on it. Whether it be Android with custom Roms, Meego, Memeo (spin off of Meego) or full on Linux distro's like Ubuntu and Debian that have been compiled for mobile devices.--Slide out keyboard. Its almost a must. Because sometimes when I'm using my Droid 2, the virtual keyboard just won't type into a field. it recognizes my presses but doesn't enter anything. Plus using emulators are alot easier when you have a good keyboard to map the controls to.--And last and moderately important. I have been "Grandfathered" into having the 30 dollar unlimited data plan with Verizon. If I go with another company I won't have good signal coverage in my area and only Sprint has an unlimited plan. And if I leave and try and come back, I can never get the unlimited plan back. And I love using WiFi tether to connect my computer to download all kinds of things. Including Linux ISOs that are usually atleast 700 MB or more in size. So I would quickly feel the limitations of a 2 GB cap on my data plan. So a phone with these 2 things on Verizon would be a very good find. I really don't care too much about 4G or having a large screen. As these are battery hogs and bit of overkill for my needs.For those that know anything on any phone available now or going to be available in the future, many many thanks for any info you can give!! God Bless you guys, Clem

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

Reaction score
You can put custom roms on without the bootloader being unlocked, just not custom kernels.

As for a timeline, the X was never unlocked (at least to date, and hope is fading), this one may or may not ever get unlocked either.

clem11388

Reaction score
un-Rooting and Unlocked Bootloaders

>>Thank you both!! Sorry for my post being so long with no paragraph separation. I had it laid out with nice spaces between subjects to make i easy to read, but when it post it squeezed it all together like that :-(. I'll give my friend that link to un-rooting and we'll see if we can resolve this issue.>> As for the unlocked bootloader, that really sucks!! I know about being able to have custom Roms, as I am currently running Fission on my D2G right now, But I would really like to have other OS's like Nokia's Meego or even the Mobil version of Ubuntu Linux. Yea they don't have as much functionality as Android does right now. But they are completely open source and free for anyone to take and make spin off versions without having to worry if Google or some other company will come along and slap them with a law suit. Kind of a niche thing I know, but I really want to have the option to try those other OS's if I want to.>> Do you know of what phones on Verizon have unlocked bootloaders already? or will be getting close? They don't have to be the brand new power houses. Just as long as its new-ish and has a keyboard. Thank you man!!!>> God Bless you guys!!>>Clem>>>>>>P.S. I'm sorry, empty lines still are not registering :-(

Last edited:

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
As far as I know the OG Droid and ThunderBolt have unlocked bootloaders. OG Droid comes like that out of the box, the TB has programs to unlock the bootloader. Some of the other Droid phones(D2G I know does) have a program called bootstrapper or something like that, not exactly sure what it's all about though. If I had to guess it allows u to run custom ROMs. Not sure if it would allow for changing of kernels though.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

Last edited:

idefiler6

Reaction score
As far as I know the OG Droid and ThunderBolt have unlocked bootloaders. OG Droid comes like that out of the box, the TB has programs to unlock the bootloader. Some of the other Droid phones(D2G I know does) have a program called bootstrapper or something like that, not exactly sure what it's all about though. If I had to guess it allows u to run custom ROMs. Not sure if it would allow for changing of kernels though.

No, Bootstrap recovery does not allow changing of kernels, yet CM7 is able to run on the D2 and D2G despite that.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
No, Bootstrap recovery does not allow changing of kernels, yet CM7 is able to run on the D2 and D2G despite that.

That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying. So to the OP, if u want to be able to flash kernels the OG Droid or TB would be ur only options ATM.

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Personally I don't really care about the Kernel. Our Bionics are extremely fast as it is, it should not have a problem handling anything currently out there. I just want the convenient features that were included in Cyanogenmod 7, as most do.

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
You can put custom roms on without the bootloader being unlocked, just not custom kernels.

As for a timeline, the X was never unlocked (at least to date, and hope is fading), this one may or may not ever get unlocked either.

Just to clear some things up here. The droid x was never unlocked because it was equipped with an efuse chip preventing it from ever being unlocked. We were hopeful that we could still unlock it by finding a work around but were never successful outside of bootstrap. Bootstrap is a recovery that allows flashing themes, roms, and mods but, does not allow you to flash a custom kernel which in turn left us only able to make roms compatible with the stock moto kernel. The DROID Bionic on the other hand does have a bootloader that is currently locked but, it is unlockable. The DROID 3 was unlocked when some developers were getting into the Motorola servers and accidentally stumbled on an unlocked version of the phones bootloader. This will most likely not happen again. There is currently a bounty at xda in the bionic development section that will go to the person that successfully unlocks it and posts how to do it. The bounty is currently well over $1000.00 so if you are familiar with this type of work and know what to look for then be a friend and help us figure it out. If not remain hopeful, it will be unlocked. I imagine at worst we will have to wait for a moto employee to see the bounty as too high to pass up and leak us the steps. The bounty is going higher every day and the longer we are still locked the faster the bounty rises.

As for your connectivity issue. It is caused by the 1st generation 4G LTE chips currently in all Verizon 4G phones. The problem occurs when you are switching to 3g from any other mode such as 4g to 3g, 1x to 3g, and no data to 3g. If you are in a generally weak signal area the problem will be worse than if you are always with a full 4g signal because your data mode changes more frequently. It is also worse on some phones than others but, still affects all Verizon 4g phones. It is not limited to the bionic. This is most likely a firmware problem and Verizon is working on a solution albeit very slowly. Many of us are pissed because of their lack of progress on the issue. Don't believe what they're saying about a fix being released in an OTA update in November. This is just to buy them more time before being bombarded with complaints again. Something that might help halfway fix it or make it less frequent would be to remove your battery and sd card, then while firmly pressing down on the sim card with your finger, rapidly slide the sim card in and out of the slot until you see some well defined shiny lines on the contacts of your sim card. This will not totally fix the issue but, it should help a little. If it is not successful then follow the steps to unroot your device and uninstall the superuser app and get a warranty replacement. If you can duplicate the problem at the Verizon store then they will replace it on the spot, otherwise if you call Verizon customer service they will send a warranty replacement with only your description of the problem. Okay I feel that now that all are in the know I can end this post. Happy modding and keep faith alive.

P.S. support your local developers. Remember they do this work for free and even still get chastised by some of the more ignorant and ungrateful people that frequent these forums. Let's show them that there are still those of us that appreciate all of their hard work.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums