NEW ROM: Smoked Glass 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by gavron, Feb 28, 2010.

1. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/26193-rom-tgz-smoked-glass-v5-0-big-update-02-27-a.html

It was sitting in the Droid Hacks forum instead of the Android ROMs section.

This allows selection of 2.0.1 or 2.1 launcher, include multitouch maps, browser, gallery.

The installer allows selecting many theming options as well as which apps to ADD or REMOVE. Personally I chose not to remove "Email" as I don't know how to get to it otherwise ;) You can also select the standard font or the "Droid" font. I tried it. Reinstalled without after (it's quaint but not easily readable while driving!)

The theme is Smoked Glass (your choice, full theme or mostly themed during install), choice of launcher, and choice of whether to import /Data (yes if not coming from 2.1) or wipe cache (never hurts when changing things.)

The kernel is based on 2.6.29 adamz. WiFi tether is included.

Disclaimer: I am a user for a total of one hour. I had nothing to do with creating it. I'm only mentioning it here because it's a GREAT Android ROM and deserves its place in the sun.

E

2. GryphonD

GryphonD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well...

The theme and all it includes, are beautiful, though after about 30 min running the ROM, it decided to send my phone into continuous reboot cycle for the next couple hours. Tried re-installing, this did no good, it also made my phone become quite hot.

3. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a newbie, so please take this as just an attempt at helpful advice.

Try wiping /DATA and clearing the cache. Then reflash (install) the image.

If that doesn't work, take another ROM... flash it... then flash back to this one. (DroidMod is a fine one. The only thing it will leave behind is the DMUpdater application...)

If this works... please post... and if it doesn't... please post. Somewhere days or years down the road your success or failure will help someone else.

Cheers

Ehud
    Tucson, AZ, USA

4. GryphonD

GryphonD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope

Still the same issue as prior, it gets to "Preparing SD card" and reboots, there also seems to be an issue with the ROM Unmounting my SD card on it's own, the one time I had it running for a bit, many of my apps which require S card kept saying app can not run without an SD card.:motdroidvert:

5. GryphonD

GryphonD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also

DM works fine, Beast and Beauty both work fine so it has to be something in this ROM.

6. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
  7. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @gryphon D

did you do a complete wipe? i had problems installing this rom like you but i did a complete wipe and i got it up and running. the dev said there is an issue with the sdcard and this rom.
    unfortunately i had to download all my apps again and couldn't save any ringtones or themes with this rom. the dev suggested i get a new and better sdcard. i will do that once the 32gb sdcard comes out.
    hope this helps.

8. GryphonD

GryphonD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Flo... too bad Alldroid is down for now.... :( anyone have an active DL link for Chevy's 1.2 or 1.2.5?

9. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
  10. GryphonD

GryphonD Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well...

Sadly, even with the new kernel, I am running into the same issue. Even after wiping, it just will not get passed "Preparing SD card" and loops back to booting up.:motdroidvert:

11. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have bad problems with adamz's kernel and posted about it many times on alldroid but it was never changed, I think a kernel up to 800mhz was all that was given to help =(.

Personally I tried 5.01 and what I did was use adb and format SYSTEM, DATA, and CACHE.

Installed the rom went through all the prompts..etc. Then instead of rebooting I had chevy's kernel in update.zip format waiting in the /sdcard dir and I just did allow update.zip install update.zip to use his kernel instead and it's been all peaches and cream since haha

If you have boot loops, it's probably a kernel issue. maybe you are clocked to high at default? or your phone can't handle the different voltages in the kernels. I know adamz was the first kernel I had problems with boot loops with and first I know specifically mentioned lowering voltage.....

12. Hanoverfiste

Hanoverfiste Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I get the Motorola M, the start up screen and then re boot. Then the phone goes black, get the Motorola M and it loops all over again. I cant even get the phone to boot. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  13. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Be easy on me for this question: I'm running smoked glass 5.0.1 - I want to install Chevy's 1.2 Kernel - I see where I download the kernel, but am I supposed to rename it to update.zip then put it on the SD card, then install it from recovery? I already did an advanced Nandroid backup.

I just downloaded this to my computer do I install it to root of SD or rename it to update.zip?: ChevyNo1-1.25Ghz-OC-10slot-update-v3.zip

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  14. banoonish

banoonish New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I am going to ask this question one more time. I loaded the ***.rom.tgz file to my sd card and booted into sdrecovery. When I pick the rom to install the backup is created and then when that is done I always get this message "error exit with status 14". I have ordered a new sd card to see if that is the problem. I have read other post with this same problem but no one ever replies. I have searched the web for status 14 but no luck. I hope that the new sd card works but if not I am at a loss. I have loaded many roms with no problems until now. Any thoughts? Thanks

15. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Yeah just rename the ChevyNo1 file to update.zip and place it in the root of your SD card. Make sure there isn't another update.zip file there, if so you will have to move, delete, or rename the other update.zip file. Then boot up into SPRecovery > install > allow update.zip > install update.zip . Reboot, and wait a couple minutes or so, and hopefully she will pop up like usual.

As a personal tip when trying out a new kernel, don't "set on boot" in setcpu. Say it causes instability because you OC'd too high, if the phone locks up, you have to perform a battery pull. As soon as the phone boots again, if you had it set to "set on boot" the phone will probably lock up again before you ever have a chance to get in to change it. For example my phone doesn't like 1.25 at all, 1.2 it can handle though, even though I never run it that high. Once you have a clock speed set that works well for you, then lock it in with set on boot.