NEW ROM For The OG Droid 1!!!!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If there were ever a case for rooting and custom roms this would be it. 6 years ago the first ever Droid was released and today the development community continues to push out roms for the device! You can still run the latest and greatest version of Android on this device. Who knows how many people still own this device. I imagine there are many of these sitting in drawers, but for those still hanging on to this device for dear life you can now run Lollipop on the OG Droid!

Developer "ChevyCam94" has just released his update to the Steel Droid rom series on the OG Droid. This will update your device to Lollipop. There are a few extras included here as well. This includes all stagefright vuln patches, memory leak fixes, wifi connection issues fixes, tweaks for speed and performance improvements, new theme for settings, 12hour clock added, and battery tweaks have been included.

If you would like to give this Rom a try you will need a custom recovery installed. The install is pretty straight forward the only thing that is a little bit different in this install method is the addition of booting into the rom once then returning to recovery to wipe data again. Grab the rom from the link below.

via Steelroms.com

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Just want to be clear here. This is NOT Lollipop source. The is Gingerbread 2.3.7 with a Lollipop THEME. There are no drivers available for post-ICS source for the D1.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just want to be clear here. This is NOT Lollipop source. The is Gingerbread 2.3.7 with a Lollipop THEME. There are no drivers available for post-ICS source for the D1.
and developing those drivers would be nearly impossible and not worth it.

pretty awesome to see there's still work being done on this device.

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
damn chevy you just wont give up the ghost on the old droid :)
Good work :)

Nope! There is STILL a lot of future potential for this phone. Even though GB is the last version of Android it will ever get (without any bugs), there is STILL a lot of improvement that can be done. Im still getting quite a few downloads. My last v13.x release is still the #1 downloaded file from my web server. Im working on the next version right now. More theming, more Dalvik optimizations, and some other app updates.

Also, if theres enough interest, I will start buying damaged/broken Droid 1's, rebuilding them, flashing them with a custom recovery, and selling them out to those who want to get into development. This is probably the best phone to begin learning on. Not expensive if you break it. Stable source thats easy to understand. Anyone interested?

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
I just built a new system i7-6700k 32 gigs ddr4, ssd 980 ti, just installed unbuntu on 2nd ssd and kinda itching to see build times :) I might rabbit i might :) let me get back to you on wednesday. worked a 6-2 today tired as hell :) i work 2-10 tommorow wednesday off so ill get back to you than if thats cool.
is your github upto date ready to sync. You'd have to remind me of somethings, its been a while :)

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Yes, 100% up to date. Build guide is on my website.

Hit me up on Hangouts

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, if theres enough interest, I will start buying damaged/broken Droid 1's, rebuilding them, flashing them with a custom recovery, and selling them out to those who want to get into development. This is probably the best phone to begin learning on. Not expensive if you break it. Stable source thats easy to understand. Anyone interested?

I am interested! My Droid has a broken screen (it wasn't my fault!!!), and it's hella slow for some reason.

chevycam94

Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Last edited: