New Pixel XL - "Unknown Ringtone"

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm on about my third day with this phone and though there's some learning to do (maybe Android version or the fact it's my first non-Motorola phone) so I won't ask about those yet. However the one thing I see so far that seems to be a glitch or issue is that the ringtone keeps changing back to "Unknown Ringtone".

When I go in to settings > Sound > Phone ringtone it will be set to Unknown ringtone. but not really "set" because none of the available options will be selected. I can select one, be it one that came with the phone or one that I downloaded and put in storage, but it keeps reverting back. Not immediately, and not only when phone is restarted or following a power up. In fact, it doesn't necessarily do it on start up and I haven't figured out how long it goes before changing.

Its pretty annoying and the fact that I waited 5-6 weeks for the phone, took at least 1.5 days to get it the way I like and apps installed, I don't want to turn it in. Anyone have any thoughts on a fix?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That is very odd and a puzzle as to what causes it to revert back to unknown ringtone. You could try clearing cache data. Not sure if your Motorola has the same quick process for clearing cache as my N5 does. For my N5 I can go to settings → storage→cached data.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Since its stock Android, or close to it, try setting the ringtone in the Phone / Dialer app instead of the main Settings. Open Phone > 3 dot menu > Settings > Sound & Vibration > Ringtone. Maybe that will help it stay with what you set?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Almost as frustrating as it was, is the fact I didn't get notifications of responses to the thread.

Anyway, seems I found the issue. Most of the apps from my Moto phone came over and I had the Audio Manager Pro (see where this is going?) and they must have been conflicting. Once I uninstalled it, it's all been good. I have numerous "loves" about teh new Pixel XL. and only one WTF about it, and that is that the screen wakes up WAY too easily. Google Assistant rocks (at least for texting while in the shower) and fast as hell. The camera.... seems to pull light out of nowhere when it needs to. Here's one that I took and would have been terribly grainy and dark on the Moto turbo
IMG_20170129_180904 (Medium).jpg

Since its stock Android, or close to it, try setting the ringtone in the Phone / Dialer app instead of the main Settings. Open Phone > 3 dot menu > Settings > Sound & Vibration > Ringtone. Maybe that will help it stay with what you set?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Glad you got it figured out! The screen definitely wakes up more easily than a Moto phone, but it's about on par with the Nexus 6P I had previously.

I do like the double tap to wake feature for when it's sitting on the end table or couch or on my desk. No picking up necessary to check notifications.

I go back and forth on whether to leave the raise to wake on. It's handy, but does come on a lot. The worst is when I have the phone on my center console or in the mount in my truck. It'll come on at pretty slight bumps. With the 6P, if I was taking a long drive, especially at night when it's dark, I'd just turn the ambient display off.

The camera is definitely better than any that Moto has used. I haven't REALLY pushed mine to the limits, but I've been very happy with the shots that it takes on the fly in rather "normal" conditions.