New phones with Android lagging/slow (X2)

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
It is really sad to see bloatware and crap like motoblur killing and slowing down android phones. Reading the X2 forums, people are complaining that it is laggy and slow. I read all the time how iphones are smoother and faster. It sucks that nice hardware (dual core processors) are being killed and phones being released to the public in the state that they are in. I am worried that your average consumer will see that its slow, and not come online like we all have to these forums, and even then, having to root, run scripts, etc. just to see the phones intended performance.

What do you think? What if people don't know about home replacement apps, rooting, scripts, cache cleaners, memory management software? Then they think android is slow and inferior to IOS.

visualplastik

Reaction score
I was recently in a Verizon store to play with a Thunderbolt and it had consistent hiccups during animations (pinch zoom, swiping). The Droid X2 has been tested in videos to have about the same real world performance as the X which I would say its comparable to the Thunderbolt except for memory.

There are also videos that lead me to believe android is just not optimized. Someone had installed iOS on an HTC Hero and it was very smooth, while installing android on iPhone was just lagtastic. Even installing the android emulator on a fast PC runs like garbage.

Android on iPhone
[video=youtube;5yO2KQHkt4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yO2KQHkt4A]‪Android running on iPhone‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

iOS on Hero
[video=youtube;AwXodaGRg0o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwXodaGRg0o]‪http://droiduniverse.com IOS on Android - IOS 4 Ported to Android - Iphone OS port on Android‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

The in-store Droid Charge didn't have these issues however. Samsung is the only brand I've seen to find workarounds for android's stock slowness. Even the Fascinate runs pretty smooth and that is a year old. I believe they convert the browser's view to a low res image during animation for example.

scott craft

Reaction score
I'm eligible for an upgrade now, so I went to the Verizon store this morning. I played with an incredible 2, droid x2, samsung charge, thunderbolt and revolution. None were as smooth as the iphone 4. Most weren't much better than my og droid was when rooted. They have some nice features, and with different launchers they might work better, but I was disappointed with the performance they had. Unfortunately I probably won't buy another android phone.

OP
AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I'm eligible for an upgrade now, so I went to the Verizon store this morning. I played with an incredible 2, droid x2, samsung charge, thunderbolt and revolution. None were as smooth as the iphone 4. Most weren't much better than my og droid was when rooted. They have some nice features, and with different launchers they might work better, but I was disappointed with the performance they had. Unfortunately I probably won't buy another android phone.
You see thats the issue. Too much issue and crapware, and having to do too much stuff just to get android going fast as it should. What are the solutions?

visualplastik

Reaction score
Not really a bloatware issue, you can install blank android and experience lag. It is an animation optimization issue.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I agree with this. Although now I'm on a sense 3.0 gingerbread ROM. Touch sensitivity is a lot better than froyo but a step below the iPhone. I tried liquid thunderbread 2.3 and that was the closest I've gotten to the smoothness of ios. The screen picked up and followed my finger with exact precision. Very smooth animations. The OS needs to have hardware acceleration..

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

imronburgundy

Reaction score
It is really sad to see bloatware and crap like motoblur killing and slowing down android phones. Reading the X2 forums, people are complaining that it is laggy and slow. I read all the time how iphones are smoother and faster. It sucks that nice hardware (dual core processors) are being killed and phones being released to the public in the state that they are in. I am worried that your average consumer will see that its slow, and not come online like we all have to these forums, and even then, having to root, run scripts, etc. just to see the phones intended performance.

What do you think? What if people don't know about home replacement apps, rooting, scripts, cache cleaners, memory management software? Then they think android is slow and inferior to IOS.

This is the reason why most of us won't even consider another motorola phone until they are completely stock with no blur, now that we know.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Tibbi

Reaction score
I'm having really bad lagg problems with my phone right now. I've had 2 of the same Droid before this one, and they were both twice as fast as this one! It drives me insane, all this lag!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I'm having really bad lagg problems with my phone right now. I've had 2 of the same Droid before this one, and they were both twice as fast as this one! It drives me insane, all this lag!

You rooted and romed? Start going through all the steps to get a smoother experience. Ive noticed that RAM is the biggest issue, having the most free RAM gives me the best performance....

pdc419

Reaction score
Adam I agree with you. And rooting and scripts and everything is a lot to do. I just enjoy doing it all, and to be honest if I didn't I would most likely get an I phone. Although I wish that wasn't the case, but it sadly is.

Tibbi

Reaction score

You rooted and romed? Start going through all the steps to get a smoother experience. Ive noticed that RAM is the biggest issue, having the most free RAM gives me the best performance....

No, I see you guys talking about it, but I have no idea what that is... is it compicated?

spillner

Reaction score
Phone manufacturers have had 3 years to develop a phone that runs as smooth as an iPhone and even though their close, they haven't quite got it. I'm hoping this changes with the Nexus Prime.

Rooting definitely helps but you should have to hack your phone to enhance the user experience just like you shouldn't have to jailbreak your iPhone to get the functionality of Android.

Fd4602

Reaction score
Well, I am so disappointed to not only read this, but to be a victim of the droid x3. I have an exchange account with over 6k in contacts and when it takes 10 to 25 seconds for a search result. Is there no help? Back to the iPhone? I have 7 more days to take it back.

ferociousbear

Reaction score

I've noticed my Droid 1 being very slow when switching between apps and loading apps etc. I'm not rooted or romed as I have no clue how to do it. I've only have the phone a little of a year so I'd like it get back to it's original speed and am open to any and all ideas.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am worried that your average consumer will see that its slow, and not come online like we all have to these forums, and even then, having to root, run scripts, etc. just to see the phones intended performance.

So what's the problem? If no one buys laggy Android devices then they'll be forced to improve. Why should Android be artificially supported if you perceive this to be an issue? Shouldn't the OHA and manufacturers address the problem?

Not really a bloatware issue, you can install blank android and experience lag. It is an animation optimization issue.
^ This. If you think it's just a UI/bloatware issue then you're cherry picking evidence.